Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: How to make a custom ISO of Knoppix 6.7

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dhaka,Bangladesh.
    Posts
    16

    Question How to make a custom ISO of Knoppix 6.7

    I have install Knoppix 6.7 in my Laptop, and install some extra packages. Now I want to make it a iso to install it in other pc's and live boot with those packages that I have installed. In Ubuntu I can do it easily by remastersys. But here nothing found.

    I have install knoppix 6.7 in my HDD, and install some other software. Now I wamt to make it a iso to distribute it to other. How can I make it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by ashickur.noor View Post
    I have install Knoppix 6.7 in my Laptop, and install some extra packages. Now I want to make it a iso to install it in other pc's and live boot with those packages that I have installed. In Ubuntu I can do it easily by remastersys. But here nothing found.

    I have install knoppix 6.7 in my HDD, and install some other software. Now I wamt to make it a iso to distribute it to other. How can I make it?
    If all you want is to make some modifications and move them around, why do you want to go all the way to an ISO? Could there be easier alternatives?
    I'd like you to answer that, and take things from there. You can find quite a lot of material on these issues on the forums here.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dhaka,Bangladesh.
    Posts
    16
    I think ISO is the best choice for me. Is there any way to make it. Can any body give me some link of these topics.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dhaka,Bangladesh.
    Posts
    16
    Can any body help me. I am trying to make a customize iso of knoppix 6.7 from my HDD install knoppix, but nothing found suitable in the forum. Please help me.

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... if you have a lot of time try Debian Remastersys.

    The well tested way to remaster Knoppix is described in Remaster HowTo (without chapter 3!); alternative you can use my scripts. Be aware, to remaster Knoppix DVD you need a free partition of at least 25GB size or a virtual drive of 25GB within VirtualBox.

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.7.0 remaster)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dhaka,Bangladesh.
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    ... if you have a lot of time try Debian Remastersys.

    The well tested way to remaster Knoppix is described in Remaster HowTo (without chapter 3!); alternative you can use my scripts. Be aware, to remaster Knoppix DVD you need a free partition of at least 25GB size or a virtual drive of 25GB within VirtualBox.

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.7.0 remaster)
    Thanks for your reply. Are you confirm that Debain Remastersys will work here? Remaster HowTo is for Remastering from live CD, not for from installed knoppix in HDD. I have such partition free space of 50 GB but the partition is not complete empty and I can not move those data. So can I use your script?

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    No, I never tried Debian Remastersys and I can not say, if it will do the job. But you told us, you have experience with Ubuntu Remastersys; therefore you will be able to solve all troubles which may occur with Debian Remastersys.

    With my scripts you need

    1. a Knoppix HD Installation (you allready have)
    2. a decompresses filesystem image at '/opt/knx/remaster' (will be done by the scripts)
    3. all the bootloader stuff at '/opt/knx/' (will be done by the scripts)
    4. repeat installation and purge of all programs and tools within the chroot jail, as you did within your HD Installation (it's your job)
    5. build the new ISO (will be done by the scripts)

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... in the meantime I thought about your question once more. And I found
    4. repeat installation and purge of all programs and tools within the chroot jail, as you did within your HD Installation (it's your job)
    isn't necessary and we can jump over
    2. a decompresses filesystem image at '/opt/knx/remaster' (will be done by the scripts)
    We have to rsync most of the HD Installation to '/opt/knx/remaster' and this is the easiest way to obtain the remastered version of Knoppix

    In the next days I'll test, which directories we have to exclude in the rsync process (at least '/opt/knx', '/proc', '/mnt', '/media' and so on) and I'll offer a new version of my scripts (also the recombine scripts).

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.7.0 remaster)

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    ... in the meantime I thought about your question once more. And I foundisn't necessary and we can jump over We have to rsync most of the HD Installation to '/opt/knx/remaster' and this is the easiest way to obtain the remastered version of Knoppix
    Not only going into a jail isn't necessary, at the same time, there is some "proposal" that rsync-ing things into /opt/knx/remaster is also unnecessary. Why ? Because 'genisoimage' itself can include directories and exclude directories as well - so why not just identify the includes and excludes and pass them straight into 'genisoimage' ? Well, since no one in this forum has yet to provide a complete code, this idea remains as a proposal.

  10. #10
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Thank you for this hint. But I prefer to handle includes/excludes by rsync; it is more versatile, than to do it within genisoimage. The commandline of genisoimage doesn't become so confusing. And last but not least I obtain the ability to do little changes with chroot '/opt/knx/remaster'.

    Greetings Werner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive

$349.99



Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD

$70.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033

$125.00



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$58.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99