-
Bugreport: DHCP with nonetworkmanager does not work + netcardconfig in console error
Because I didn't find any Bugtracker I'll post info about this (perhaps) bugs here.
I'm currently remastering Knoppix 6.7. I use it as the base of a bare metal restore cd ( for http://urbackup.org). Because the restore wizard displays stuff only using dialog I don't need all the packages concerning a graphical user interface. I purged them all
.
1.
Because I purged network-manager knoppix falls back to the standard debian network setup by just calling "ifup". This somehow does not work when called in the busybox shell. Changing
ifup to /bin/bash -c "ifup" fixed this problem. Then networkcards get configured automatically if a DHCP server is present.
2.
If the above fails the user can choose to start netcardconfig or wlcardconfig. If one says no to the autoconfiguration via DHCP netcardconfig fails to display the next menu if dialog is used instead of xdialog. Changing the parameters from "15 75 18" to "15 50 10" (dialog can't fit the window on the screen even with vga=791) fixed that. I could only test netcardconfig till now.
Otherwise everything seems to work fine. It takes approximately 5 seconds from boot to the restore wizard, which is great. It is easy cusomizable, especially with those kn-knoppix scripts I found here (maybe mention them on the wiki as well?). Keep up the good work! Thanks!
-
Senior Member
registered user
#!/bin/bash
# rc.local
setwifi () { # see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495
WIFI="eth1"; dhclient -r $WIFI; ifconfig $WIFI up
iwconfig $WIFI essid "ESSID" key "123456789c" mode "Managed"
nohup dhclient $WIFI
}
setwifi
exit 0
That's what I used to use in 6.4.4.
You may want to use something more secure.
In 6.4.4, for some reason getting wifi on-line took about 2 min.
This took only 50 sec or so.
In 6.7, network manager is getting on-line now in about 50 sec,
so this isn't necessary for me any longer.
Last edited by utu; 08-14-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025
$22.00

Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e/4Kn HDD
$199.00

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$69.00

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION*
$319.79

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

NEW Sealed Toshiba N300 Pro 10TB NAS HDD 7200RPM
$299.99