-
Bugreport: DHCP with nonetworkmanager does not work + netcardconfig in console error
Because I didn't find any Bugtracker I'll post info about this (perhaps) bugs here.
I'm currently remastering Knoppix 6.7. I use it as the base of a bare metal restore cd ( for http://urbackup.org). Because the restore wizard displays stuff only using dialog I don't need all the packages concerning a graphical user interface. I purged them all
.
1.
Because I purged network-manager knoppix falls back to the standard debian network setup by just calling "ifup". This somehow does not work when called in the busybox shell. Changing
ifup to /bin/bash -c "ifup" fixed this problem. Then networkcards get configured automatically if a DHCP server is present.
2.
If the above fails the user can choose to start netcardconfig or wlcardconfig. If one says no to the autoconfiguration via DHCP netcardconfig fails to display the next menu if dialog is used instead of xdialog. Changing the parameters from "15 75 18" to "15 50 10" (dialog can't fit the window on the screen even with vga=791) fixed that. I could only test netcardconfig till now.
Otherwise everything seems to work fine. It takes approximately 5 seconds from boot to the restore wizard, which is great. It is easy cusomizable, especially with those kn-knoppix scripts I found here (maybe mention them on the wiki as well?). Keep up the good work! Thanks!
-
Senior Member
registered user
#!/bin/bash
# rc.local
setwifi () { # see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495
WIFI="eth1"; dhclient -r $WIFI; ifconfig $WIFI up
iwconfig $WIFI essid "ESSID" key "123456789c" mode "Managed"
nohup dhclient $WIFI
}
setwifi
exit 0
That's what I used to use in 6.4.4.
You may want to use something more secure.
In 6.4.4, for some reason getting wifi on-line took about 2 min.
This took only 50 sec or so.
In 6.7, network manager is getting on-line now in about 50 sec,
so this isn't necessary for me any longer.
Last edited by utu; 08-14-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

ULTIMATE ARCH LINUX BOOTABLE USB/DVD INSTALLER 64-BIT - CHOOSE BUILD - PC/MAC
$4.49

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$599.00

Ubuntu 26.04 LTS – 3 DVD Set Desktop - Server - Studio Edition - Grade AAA+
$13.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$299.00

Turbolinux Server and Workstation, Red Hat, Maximum Linux LOT 13 CDs
$40.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 16-Core Perpetual License | Factory Sealed
$724.63

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99