Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: DHCP

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110

    DHCP

    Im booting Knoppix 6.7 via pxe. Once Knoppix starts to load I get delay in DHCP during boot. The sending dhcp message appears for quiet some time. Then knoppix goes about its boot. The unit has an ip from the pxe process. So my question is, is this a knoppix delay or my pxe server? Any ideas?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    FWIW, no significant delay in normal (not pxe) use of dhcp.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110
    So called normal use of DHCP within Knoppix doesnt begin until after X has started/loaded. Knoppix needs IP before X when pxe booting. I think it may be within minirt.gz the ini file itself. ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I've contributed all I know for sure on this.
    But if pxe needs IP early, why isn't the server providing it already?

    Are you able to decode minirt.gz and read the init?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110
    Yes, Ive just started to dig thru ini. I think DHCP server is confused by knoppix asking for an ip from the same mac addy that just requested ip?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    FWIW,

    In 6.4.4 my LiveUSB took almost 120 seconds to get on-line initially.
    I finally disabled Network Manager and got down to about 55-or so seconds
    using a primitive /etc/rc.local routine to get my wifi going.

    In 6.7, there was no similar slow start to getting on-line in less than
    a minute and no need to circumvent Network Manager.

    Obviously either Knoppix or Network Manager must have changed between
    6.4.4 and 6.7. If you don't find the answer in minirt.gz, then you might
    see if there's some difference in NM that explains your situation.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110
    Thanks for those ideas. I will post my findings. May take me a few days.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Radius Pivot II Display NuBus Video Card 632-0030 picture

Vintage Radius Pivot II Display NuBus Video Card 632-0030

$149.00



Rare Vintage Sanyo MBC-1150 Terminal With Keyboard CPM2.2 — Boots - DW picture

Rare Vintage Sanyo MBC-1150 Terminal With Keyboard CPM2.2 — Boots - DW

$1000.00



Vintage RaidMax Dirk-Tooth Smilodon Gaming Tower with Hardware-Green LED Lights picture

Vintage RaidMax Dirk-Tooth Smilodon Gaming Tower with Hardware-Green LED Lights

$199.00



Litton Vintage 8K x 16 Memory Board Module Expansion Card MPN 30-10654 picture

Litton Vintage 8K x 16 Memory Board Module Expansion Card MPN 30-10654

$750.00



Vintage 1988 Tandy 1000 SL SL/2 Audio / Reset I/O Board P/N 8709867 Rev D picture

Vintage 1988 Tandy 1000 SL SL/2 Audio / Reset I/O Board P/N 8709867 Rev D

$34.77



Vintage - 1958 Philco TRANSAC S-2000 Mainframe Components picture

Vintage - 1958 Philco TRANSAC S-2000 Mainframe Components

$350.00



Vintage Tandy 1000 SL Keyboard Joystick I/O Daughterboard PCB P/N 8709867 Rev D picture

Vintage Tandy 1000 SL Keyboard Joystick I/O Daughterboard PCB P/N 8709867 Rev D

$24.77



Vintage The Color Computer Magazine Lot of 3 (1983-1984) TRS-80 CoCo Tandy Retro picture

Vintage The Color Computer Magazine Lot of 3 (1983-1984) TRS-80 CoCo Tandy Retro

$34.77



Vintage NICE Plus 486 USA Motherboard Intel i486 DX2 CPU Manual Expansion Card picture

Vintage NICE Plus 486 USA Motherboard Intel i486 DX2 CPU Manual Expansion Card

$224.99



Vintage Dell Optiplex GX1 800L Celeron 128 MB Ram No hard drive or o.s. picture

Vintage Dell Optiplex GX1 800L Celeron 128 MB Ram No hard drive or o.s.

$119.95