Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix not recognizing a FAT SCSI hard drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix not recognizing a FAT SCSI hard drive

    I recently began the impossible undertaking of backing up old NeXT Computer's hard drives, 2 of them, 1GB each, stored in what I believe was some sort of FAT formating. I downloaded and burned a copy of Knoppix understanding that it would be capable of understanding the unix and formatting of the NeXT computer hard drives as SCSI, being linux itself. However, this is not the case, and Knoppix is only recognizing the hard drive as one large unallocated hard drive, with no partitions of which to speak.

    The hard drives themselves is still bootable on the NeXT computer interface, however the networking hosts file seems to be corrupted, as is the root password (roots' password can be reset a seemingly infinite number of times, and it will take the new password you give it, and yet you still have no root permissions, with or without super user on). This prevents us from moving over the 1.09gb and 1.04gb hard drives on 3 1/2 inch floppy drives as well (which hardly hold any information).

    These hard drives have some fairly valuable information that I am trying to simply back up onto a thumb drive.

    Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

    ~Mr. Mack

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2
    EDIT: BLUNDER ON MY PART,

    Turns out the harddrive is a UFS formating, however while I can make clones of it all day long, I need data pulled and usable in a windows environment.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mack View Post
    EDIT: BLUNDER ON MY PART,

    Turns out the harddrive is a UFS formating, however while I can make clones of it all day long, I need data pulled and usable in a windows environment.

    if you haven't given up yet...

    I would try to mount the scsi drive as a ufs filesystem with something like

    mkdir /mnt/a
    mount /dev/sda /mnt/a -t ufs -o ro (use read only and ufs filesystem)

    although I'd imagine that wouldn't work if the ufs partition doesn't start at the beginning of the drive. I'm guessing that it doesn't.

    you could try to list partitions with a fdisk -l /dev/sda

    and mount it with mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/a -t ufs assuming that knoppix can "see" the partitioning.

    otherwise look for the starting offset of the ufs partition with hexdump -C /dev/sda | less

    mount /dev/sda /mnt/a -o offset=32768,ro -t ufs if the starting offset is 32768 for example, and mount in read only


    once you've got it mounted you should be able to list files and copy them to another drive, or a network mount.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$53.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1 - Tested -98% Life

$48.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99