-

Originally Posted by
utu
Greetings again, Forester
Hi utu,
I quite liked your description (post #7, this thread) of what you want the first time I read it. It is a fair reflection of what I think we discussed way back when.
I don't know that others will understand it quite the same way. Some might not recognise it as 'remastering', some might wonder what is so special about this set of requirements. I seem to remember KK himself wondering why bother.
I still think you have a valid point to make but it needs to be able to made convincingly.
When I think of what is involved in remastering I see a 'selection' of what to include, 'assembling' what is selected, 'generating' a new image from the assembly and, of course, 'testing, testing, testing'. Others might see it differently - they might include publishing the new image, for example. I think the process is iterative and I'd see testing as continual, rather than something that is done at the end.
In the middle of all this, the 'generation' bit may not seem all that important but that was all we were really talking about. Perhaps our approach is a bit to simplistic. I don't think so but you would need to convince the skeptics.
You start with a working LiveUSB installation. You use synaptic to add a few packages and may be remove a few others. That covers 'selection'. You've also covered 'assembly': everything is in your persistent store. You've been playing with the new packages as you've installed them. That covers 'testing' too (for all practical purposes). So all you need is the 'generation' bit and that isn't something you can do with a click or two of the mouse.
This may not be 'remastering' as KK knows it but it seems to be a reasonable scenario (at least) for the 'ordinary' user's first attempts at remastering. I think there is a case of providing a simple (to use) tool for this.
Do this make sense ? Is there any point in my continuing ? It only gets harder from here on.
The next questions you might be asked as about the scope the method covers (like is this LiveUSB only ?). There is no problem with there being limitations but it helps if you know what they are. Open discussion may help widen the scope at little cost and bring others on board.
P.S. Still interested in the special properties of ntfs for remastering.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854
$225.00

Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs
$49.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99