Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Knoppix 6.7.0: A View from the Forest

Threaded View

  1. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, again Forester.

    Are we on the same wavelength again? I think so.
    The word 're-mastering' is itself a problem.

    I surely don't imply the process KK must go through to make a new version of Knoppix.
    Surely, he includes some new source compilation; I can forego that.
    He brings in new kernels and makes all the drivers that go with that.
    Lots of stuff I'm sure I don't even know about.
    I'm talking about things a non-pro user might want to tide himself over between
    official Knoppix versions. Something just little more elegant than persistence plus
    backup.

    What I would settle for in 'selection' might simply include a few Synaptic additions,
    some minor home-grown script additions, plus the sundry tweaks one puts into tailoring
    one's desktop. Nail these down and pack them into the compressed image. Have the
    option to store that as a snapshot on a liveCD as well as a LiveUSB. I don't find it
    useful to move all my stuff into VirtualBox or VMWare to try out new things, especially
    on a Windows workspace. Been there; done that.

    I have the feeling that handling Synaptic removal of things in KKs original compressed
    file may be off-limits for any simple solution. I can give that up. Or, I can try it and
    throw out the result and go back to a previous snapshot of everything that worked before.

    The 'testing' phase I use is just everyday use of my LiveUSB. Whatever works, I keep
    in persistence. If it doesn't work, I don't keep it. If it doesn't work and ruins my
    current LiveUSB, I back up to an earlier version for which I have a (compressed) copy
    of KNOPPIX-DATA that works and bring that in as update.tar.gz. Moving KNOPPIX-DATA into
    KNOPPIX occasionally would solve the back-up problem automatically, and more elegantly.

    I see 'Generating' as the neat scripts you and Capricorny and Werner use to re-generate
    a new KNOPPIX file from an old one plus the accumulated 'additions' in persistence.
    And re-plenishing the persistence file, of course.
    Creating such a script is beyond both my capabilities and interest, but I'd like to
    have the capability of such a script in my working LiveUSB. Here's my take on the
    possibilities I know about:

    The following table outlines my current estimate of the state of progress along these lines.
    It would have been a little prettier if odf formats were allowed on the forum.
    I will be glad to correct any errors in this representation.

    Code:
                                           
    iso Product  Workspace   Virtual     Infra-     Principle     LiveCD  LiveUSB  KK        KK
    Concept      Req'd?      Req'd?      Structure  Status        Product Product  Aware     Interest
    
    PCLinuxOS    No          Immaterial  Mandriva   In Practice   Yes     No       Probably  Prob Not
    Forester     No          Optional    Knoppix    --?--         No      No       Prob Not  Likely
    Capricorny   Yes         Optional    Knoppix    Proven        No      No       Prob Not  --?--
    Schulz       Yes         Essential   Knoppix    Proven        No      No       Yes       Some
    
    Desired      Pref No     Optional    Knoppix    Proven        Yes     Yes      Yes       Yes
    My intention is to advocate a progression of one or more of these, or similar, concepts toward
    a state of visibility sufficent to attract KK's awareness and interest such that that these new
    functions might actually appear in some future incarnation of Knoppix.

    We probably need a different name than re-mastering for this modest upgrade of Knoppix.
    Something like it is called mylivecd in PCLinuxOS.
    Last edited by utu; 08-28-2011 at 12:35 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module

$30.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89