.. and Werner use to re-generate
a new KNOPPIX file from an old one plus the accumulated 'additions' in persistence
... no, no! I don't work with accumulated stuff in any persistence memory. I do all my changes in a real Harddrive Installation and test it within this. That's the way, all people work.

You need a backup concept or a version control system to go back to former state of testing in case of error.

And only then, when all went well, I repeat the changes in the chroot jail using some scripts and build a new ISO.

And why do you insist on working within Windows? Windows is the worst case for handling Linux development. My suggestion, to use VirtualBox is only a poor man solution, it isn't "essential"; the better way is using a separate partition for Knoppix-Installation and boot it.


Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.7.0 remaster)