Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: A simple problem eluding me

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    USA, Louisiana, Oil City
    Posts
    20

    A simple problem eluding me

    OK, A very simple problem is eluding me that I could sure use your help with.

    I put Knoppix on an 8GB USB flash drive. I was playing around with the desktop settings (right click on desktop for the menu). I turned off some option that allowed the menu for right clicking on the desktop. Now when I right click on the desktop, nothing comes up. So, I need to know where I can turn that option back on, so that right click on the desktop brinks up that menu.

    Also, how can I add menu items to the application menu?

    Also, how can I make a new Link to another file or directory on the desktop.

    Also, where can I change default paper size to "letter size" in LibreOffice? The printer is already set, but every new document I create, defaults to A4. Very annoying.

    Thanks for your time.

    Edit: Oh, I'm on version 6.7.0.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, Bothersome.

    It would be helpful & preferable in the future if you'd not try to cover so many topics all in one post.

    In regards the lxmenu, there's no current easy way to edit menus. There is a later version of lxde that has that feature, but Debian is about a year behind in getting it out to us.

    Link question is unclear what you want.

    LibreOffice answer is simple enough Format/Page.../Format; yup, A4 is default;
    so change it.

    The right-click problem is a classic, and someone has posted the solution.
    Use the forum search function.

    And good luck.
    Last edited by utu; 08-24-2011 at 12:24 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    LibreOffice answer is simple enough Format/Page.../Format; yup, A4 is default;
    so change it.
    In Writer, that is.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    USA, Louisiana, Oil City
    Posts
    20
    The link question might be a symlink question.

    I'll give up on the idea of adding menu items at the moment.

    Comment:
    It's strange that the people that develop Linux/KDE/Gnome want users to use their systems. They make the systems look like windows and copy layouts and whatnot to help make things easier to the Windows users for transition. Yet, they don't include the simple things that make the system a bit more intuitive. This is exactly what frustrates the Windows user. Making the user think it all a big waste of time and that the systems the developers have put together is just not ready yet. Do you want the system to look and feel like Windows or not? If so, then get the interface to feel like it too. If not, tell us now so we can quit wasting our time on it.

    I take it, re-enabling that context menu for the desktop is a difficult thing to do, else someone would have just posted the quick solution. The option of turning it off should have never been put in the system in first place.

    Oh and I just tried that layout > Page and put it to letter size, yet when I close LibreOffice and start it up again, it is again on A4. It does not change the default to letter size. Or did miss something?
    Last edited by Bothersome; 08-24-2011 at 01:50 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothersome View Post
    Oh and I just tried that layout > Page and put it to letter size, yet when I close LibreOffice and start it up again, it is again on A4. It does not change the default to letter size. Or did miss something?
    There are, I thought, three places to go wrong here:
    ok your choice; save your document; and persistent store.
    I understand your annoyance a little better now.
    I'll see if 6.4.4 offers any clue.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    It's strange that the people that develop Linux/KDE/Gnome want users to use their systems. They make the systems look like windows and copy layouts and whatnot to help make things easier to the Windows users for transition. Yet, they don't include the simple things that make the system a bit more intuitive.
    ... you did a look at Knoppix and you damn Linux.
    KNOPPIX is a bootable Live system on CD or DVD, consisting of a representative collection of GNU/Linux software, .. (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html)
    Knoppix is a "collection" of hundreds of tools and programs from KDE, Gnome, LXDE and so on. It isn't designed as a distribution with a uniform look and feel as perhaps Debian, openSUSE or (especially for newcomers from Windows) Ubuntu. If you for example have a look at Ubuntu, you will find all the "simple things that make the system a bit more intuitive".

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.7.0 remaster)

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Also, where can I change default paper size to "letter size" in LibreOffice? The printer is already set, but every new document I create, defaults to A4. Very annoying.
    ... change the entry of '/etc/papersize/' (as root) from "a4" to "letter".
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 08-24-2011 at 03:55 PM.

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Also, how can I add menu items to the application menu?
    ... what a menu item do you need. Most of the installed programs have a entry in '/usr/share/applications/'.

    But you can edit existing entries or add new entries: http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Main_Menu

    The mentioned LXDE-menu-editor I've never tried.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    There does seem to be some kind of first-time-use stickiness with my 6.7 LiveUSB.
    If you save as 'untitled 2' there's no problem; moreover 'untitled 1' will also hold changes after
    doing the 'untitled 2' thing. No such first-time-use thing with either 6.4.4 or 6.7 LiveCD's.

    As Werner says, you probably want to change the DEFAULT anway.
    That would have been the next question.

  10. #10
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    I was playing around with the desktop settings (right click on desktop for the menu). I turned off some option that allowed the menu for right clicking on the desktop. Now when I right click on the desktop, nothing comes up.
    ... oh, this old error!
    Try this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00