-
DHCP
Im booting Knoppix 6.7 via pxe. Once Knoppix starts to load I get delay in DHCP during boot. The sending dhcp message appears for quiet some time. Then knoppix goes about its boot. The unit has an ip from the pxe process. So my question is, is this a knoppix delay or my pxe server? Any ideas?
Thanks!
-
Senior Member
registered user
FWIW, no significant delay in normal (not pxe) use of dhcp.
-
So called normal use of DHCP within Knoppix doesnt begin until after X has started/loaded. Knoppix needs IP before X when pxe booting. I think it may be within minirt.gz the ini file itself. ?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I've contributed all I know for sure on this.
But if pxe needs IP early, why isn't the server providing it already?
Are you able to decode minirt.gz and read the init?
-
Yes, Ive just started to dig thru ini. I think DHCP server is confused by knoppix asking for an ip from the same mac addy that just requested ip?
-
Senior Member
registered user
FWIW,
In 6.4.4 my LiveUSB took almost 120 seconds to get on-line initially.
I finally disabled Network Manager and got down to about 55-or so seconds
using a primitive /etc/rc.local routine to get my wifi going.
In 6.7, there was no similar slow start to getting on-line in less than
a minute and no need to circumvent Network Manager.
Obviously either Knoppix or Network Manager must have changed between
6.4.4 and 6.7. If you don't find the answer in minirt.gz, then you might
see if there's some difference in NM that explains your situation.
-
Thanks for those ideas. I will post my findings. May take me a few days.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount
$350.00

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book
$37.49