Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Iptstate on Knoppix 6.4.4 - not working

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23

    Iptstate on Knoppix 6.4.4 - not working

    Hi Managed to install Iptstate in Debian-Lenny(installed), PuppyLinux(Live CD) and Debian-Squeeze(Live CD) without problem. I am unable to install/use it in Knoppix 6.4.4(Live DVD). The program starts but does not show any connection states. I installed Iptstate in running Live DVD by doing following: 1. sudo su 2. apt-get update 3. apt-get install Iptstate 4. Iptstate Regards. V.Krishn

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Late reply. You need to load the conntrack modules prior to using iptstate.

    Code:
       # modprobe nf_conntrack_ipv4
       # modprobe nf_conntrack ipv6
    Bottomline there should be a /proc/net/ip_conntrack there. If not, the required kernel modules have not been loaded.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    Late reply. You need to load the conntrack modules prior to using iptstate.

    Code:
       # modprobe nf_conntrack_ipv4
       # modprobe nf_conntrack ipv6
    Bottomline there should be a /proc/net/ip_conntrack there. If not, the required kernel modules have not been loaded.
    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:~# ll /proc/net/ip_conntrack 
    -r--r----- 1 root root 0 Jul  4 05:05 /proc/net/ip_conntrack
    Though this method works in Squeeze(Live CD) but I am still not able to make it work in Knoppix-6.4.4(DVD).

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by vkrishn View Post
    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:~# ll /proc/net/ip_conntrack 
    -r--r----- 1 root root 0 Jul  4 05:05 /proc/net/ip_conntrack
    Though this method works in Squeeze(Live CD) but I am still not able to make it work in Knoppix-6.4.4(DVD).
    There are two possibilities. Either there is something wrong with the version of iptstate loaded, or still there is some other kernel modules not loaded ( load all the netlink and conntrack modules!) . As I don't exactly use Knoppix-6.4.4 and my kernel is custom compiled, I can't have first hand experience on knoppix 6.4.4.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    I can't have first hand experience on knoppix 6.4.4....
    I tried it on knoppix 6.4.4 in a virtual machine and found this problem is a lot more interesting than I originally thought. Yes, basically I can confirm that I could repeat the same problem. More specifically, when I do a 'cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack' this is what I get :-

    Code:
         # cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack
    cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack: no more space on device
    A check on similar error message on the net revealed this post :-

    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=890384

    Basically it says kernel 2.6.37 is broken in nf_conntrack. I don't know whether to believe it or not, it is a very serious claim, or perhaps it is fixed in the subversion 2.6.37.X, but if this is true, it renders Knoppix 6.4.4 hopeless for any serious networking/iptables/conntrack applications.
    Last edited by kl522; 07-05-2011 at 02:54 AM.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    Basically it says kernel 2.6.37 is broken in nf_conntrack. I don't know whether to believe it or not, it is a very serious claim, or perhaps it is fixed in the subversion 2.6.37.X, but if this is true, it renders Knoppix 6.4.4 hopeless for any serious networking/iptables/conntrack applications.
    Well I am able to get realtime event log by doing:
    Code:
     root@Microknoppix:~# conntrack -E
    Not sure, maybe iptstate is incompatible with knoppix 6.4.4.
    Would try to run on older knoppix version.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ anyone

    Where do we stand on this in Knoppix 6.7?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23
    Had to do the following to make it work.
    modprobe ip_conntrack
    Though I came across another problem (not confiming). dpkg seems to give error after couple of package installation in persistent knoppix-data.img.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95