Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix - without "chroot"

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Nice work, Werner.

    I used DVD media to burn mz 798 Mb iso.
    Successful with a minor difficultz, as zou can see.

    Ich spreche Deutsch nicht.
    Mein bookmarks are in English, but not mz menus.

    Mein kezboard has yeds where I expect wzes.

    All mz wifi nrs and passwords are intact.

    A marvelous new capabilitz zou have created.

    Danke. This is what I was looking for.
    Zou should call up Klaus right awaz.

  2. #12
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Successful with a minor difficultz, as zou can see.
    I see

    Follow the step from my suggestions: "Make changes in the file '/opt/knx/knoppix/boot/isolinux/knoppix.menu' as you need for my Bootmenu, especially within all "lang=.." and "tz=.." items of the "Append"-lines."

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hey, Werner

    Coming to you from a new LiveUSB product made from
    my German-speaking remastered CD.

    I taught the LiveUSB English in minutes.
    Now my zeds and wyes are where I expect them to be.
    I edited the APPEND line 'lang=de' to lang=us' after boot
    in /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/knoppix.menu.

    This might have been a little easier if your otherwise nice menu
    offered, as well, a knoppix-cheatcode-entering option.
    There are likely other reasons this might be a good additional
    option, I think.

    And, again congratulations on such an elegant addition to Knoppix.

  4. #14
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... there is already an option to enter cheatcodes: below the line "Boot from HD"

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Not very usable if lang= has already changed the keyboard map.

    A cursor-selection-list would probably be required to solve this
    problem without going back and re-doing the CD as you suggest.
    That's too much to ask.

    I withdraw the cheatcode suggestion, it detracts from the general
    plan you have established.

  6. #16
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    I edited the APPEND line 'lang=de' to lang=us' after boot
    in /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/knoppix.menu.
    Yes, in a flash-disk Installation with persistent memory you can edit this file, but in my proposal of remaster, you have to edit '/opt/knx/knoppix/boot/isolinux/knoppix.menu'.

    To prevent to vaste time and CDs I sugest: "Copy the new ISO to the isoimages-directory of VirtualBox and test your new remastered ISO. If all went well burn ISO to CD."

    Not very usable if lang= has already changed the keyboard map.
    Why that? While startup Knoppix looks for any existing cheatcodes. If the cheatcode
    Code:
    boot: knoppix lang=us
    is found, Knoppix will use it; otherwise the item in the Append line is selected.

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.7.0 remaster)

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, again, Werner.

    I have another aspect to call to your attention.

    I am not positive, but I think it is the case, that if one uses
    Synaptic to remove programs from the remaster, that the resultant iso
    may actually increase in size, rather than decrease.

    I have not tried your approach for removing programs, to see if this
    is the case for your method as well.

    If there is some difference between doing the program removal via
    Synaptic or via your method, then there surely must be some adjustment to
    using Synaptic that would serve just as well. Perhaps reloading or using
    'clean' or some such already built-in feature of Synaptic.

    Have your already run into this phenomenon?

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    ps. Where do I find the equal sign on a German keyboard?

  9. #19
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    You get '=' with 'shift 0' on german keyboard.

    If you remove packages with Synaptic or with aptitude, they are gone from their directory, for example '/usr/bin/gimp'. Synaptic and aptitude/apt uses '/var/cache/apt' and '/var/lib/apt'. Parts of this remains in the HD Installation, but will be omitted in the new ISO. Have a look in the script 'kn-rsync'.

    Therefore it doesn't make a difference using Synaptic or aptitude in aspect of the size of the ISO.

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, Werner.

    Is there any problem using your remastering scripts for 6.7.1,
    other than the logo on the opening screen?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance

$20.25



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



Unfi Security Gateway Pro picture

Unfi Security Gateway Pro

$170.00