Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix - without "chroot"

  1. #31
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    In the example I described, the persistent memory is only on partition #2.

    I don't know, if it is possible to boot more then one KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX on different partitions with syslinux. Syslinux offers an multiboot option with "mboot.32", but I never tried it.

  2. #32
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hello, again, Werner.

    Partition #2 in your example is only 1 GB to start with.
    KNOPPIX will use at least 700Mb of that.
    This leaves precious little for persistence in partition #2, anyway.

    I would have thought the proportions would be the other way around
    1 Gb in #1 and 3 Gb in #2 if #2 also get the persistence file.

    Am I missing something here?

    ps.. I liked your screen shot of the missing LXDE menu.
    It looks like Halloween came early in Dietzenbach.

  3. #33
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    It is only an example. Each user can create the partitions as he like. And for rescue purpose I think it is better to have as much free space on a USB stick or an USB drive as possible to store stuff like "Documents" from a violated OS.
    I liked your screen shot of the missing LXDE menu.
    It looks like Halloween came early in Dietzenbach.
    Halloween is only one night; but this error torments me since many days

  4. #34
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4
    After "Prepare remaster environment", I see:

    Edit all items of 'lang= ' and 'tz= ' as you need within
    the file '/opt/knx/knoppix/boot/isolinux/knoppix.menu'!
    While trying to follow the advice, I noticed the following in knoppix.menu:

    KBDMAP german.kbd
    If my keyboard is more of the US-persuasion, is there a recommended course of action?

  5. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4
    I went ahead and removed the KBDMAP line and so far haven't noticed any ill effects.

    On a separate note, for some reason, /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig didn't appear in its appropriate location under the remaster directory. When I booted the resulting ISO, I noticed a message about not finding knoppix-autoconfig and neither the keyboard nor the pointing device appeared to work (at least, not under X).

    Subsequently, I manually copied knoppix-autoconfig to /opt/knx/remaster/etc/init.d/ and rebuilt the ISO, and the result appears to behave much better.

    I thought I had just followed the instructions at the "Summary: Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix" page -- using VirtualBox, checking the KNOPPIX CD checksum, etc.). Is there any information I might provide to try to understand what might have gone awry?

  6. #36
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    If you have a non-German version of Knoppix look at '/usr/share/kn-knoppix/save/isolinux.cfg' which item to use for "KBDMAP". Please tell me what you found there.

    Greetings Werner

  7. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for your response and help.

    I am using a non-German version of Knoppix (EN). Searching for KBDMAP within /usr/share/kn-knoppix/save/isolinux.cfg yielded one line:

    Code:
      # KBDMAP german.kbd
    When attempting to edit an entry in the boot menu, I noticed that slash "/" was not where I expected it so I created a file named us.kbd via the keytab-lilo.pl script that comes with lilo. I replaced the german.kbd file with the resulting us.kbd and placed the following line in the .cfg file:

    Code:
      KBDMAP us.kbd
    This seemed to produce more familiar behavior.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



High-Speed Ananlog Computers,  Rajko Tomovic & Walter J. Karplus picture

High-Speed Ananlog Computers, Rajko Tomovic & Walter J. Karplus

$200.00



Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor picture

Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor

$70.00



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare picture

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare

$380.00



Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card picture

Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card

$26.21