@ Werner
PCLinuxOS has another work-around at post #15 of this thread:
http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index...,95512.15.html
Cheers,
Hi Klaus,
Your steps are working great, thank you very much !
(I should stop using synaptic and better start using apt-get...)
Best Regards,
Gilles
@ Werner
PCLinuxOS has another work-around at post #15 of this thread:
http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index...,95512.15.html
Cheers,
@ Werner
There is also an lxmenu (empty menu) work-around on the LXDE wiki that may interest you at:
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel#gxine_menu_icon_fix
Hello,
Does anyone know why compiling a source tree as "root" is much slower than as the default "Knoppix" user ?
(by just using "su" before starting the make). Top indicates a much higher percentage of system call (%sy)
with root than Knoppix and as such there is not much time left for the user apps (%us). Any idea how to fix it ?
(I know it is usually a bad idea to compile as root anyway but in some cases root is required...)
Thanks,
Gilles
Personally I am not so convinced that compiling things as root will be slower, unless the makefiles do additional things when detecting compiling as root verses normal users. In any case, if one compiles something repeatedly, the speed can be improved by installing/configuring 'ccache'. Therefore if compile as root is indeed slower, perhaps the cache has not been setup for 'root' ? It's easy to verify that, just check if there is a .ccache folder for /home/knoppix. If the folder exists, meaning likely you have been using ccache without realizing it.
Hi kl522,
I do clear ccache: "ccache -C; ccache -z" and do a "make distclean" before the "make"
to have a fair comparison between the root and knoppix user. It is actually a cross-compile
but I don't think that it makes any difference...
Best Regards,
Gilles
The ccache may not support your cross-compile, you have to check if the "non-ccache" compiler binary name is one of those having the same name as one of those in /usr/lib/ccache. If the binary you used for cross-compile is not any of those, then too bad, debian ccache package does not support your cross-compile.
Hi Kl522,
I do run my test both with and without ccache. As expected, running twice or more with ccache provides some speed improvement.
But at this point I do not care much about ccache. The problem that I try to understand is the time difference when compiling as root
or as the knoppix user. Or in other words, in both cases (with or without ccache) running as root is much slower than with the user Knoppix.
Thanks for your help. Best Regards,
Gilles
Hi Kl522,
After trying to reproduce the problem with some sample code and a toolchain publicly available
I found out that the problem is linked to the Code Sourcery ARM toolchain (full license).
Or in other words the problem disappear when the lite version is used. I did post a support
request with Code Sourcery as this problem is most likely not linked to Knoppix at all.
Thanks for your help, case closed.
Best Regards,
Gilles

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43
Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99
Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00