Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Trouble Connecting to the Internet in Knoppix 6.0.1 using New Toshiba Satellite

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1

    Trouble Connecting to the Internet in Knoppix 6.0.1 using New Toshiba Satellite

    Hi all,

    This is my first post to this site, so please forgive me any newbie errors in etiquette. But I've been a user of Knoppix (via Live CD) for years. I started with Knoppix 5 and still use that and Knoppix 6 to this day. I have never been able (despite my years of use) to get Knoppix to work with my wireless access point. That was never a problem... until today.

    In the past, I would just use an Ethernet cable to connect to the modem/router and Knoppix always seemed to "recognize" the connection automatically. But on my new Toshiba Satellite (model: C655-S5225) the connection to the Internet never seems to be established.

    I've done some Googling online and searched through this site too but to no avail. In Knoppix 6.0.1, I can get all the way to the desktop just fine. I can open a terminal. I can poke around other areas too (but note, despite years of use, I'm still a novice with Knoppix/Linux). But I can't seem to tell what is going on.

    Can anyone help? I would really like to be able to use Knoppix and connect to the Internet wirelessly. But I'll settle for being able to use the Ethernet cable (just as I have been able to do 4 other machines so far... just not the latest machine).

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    I suggest trying the latest Knoppix version, as it may have support for hardware (like the wireless chip in the Satellite) that was missing in the earlier version.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hi, maxpierre & krishna

    What krishna is suggesting is 6.7.1, which can be found at

    http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

    The ADRIANE-KNOPPIX version is for those needing some special low-vision aids,
    and defaults to this mode.
    If you do not require such assistance, get the KNOPPIX version.

    And good luck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 10 Genuine OEM Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter A1719 for Macbook Pro picture

Lot of 10 Genuine OEM Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter A1719 for Macbook Pro

$179.99



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99



OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236 picture

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236

$549.99



Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D picture

Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D

$339.99



Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"

$14.24



OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM picture

Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM

$17.99



Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718 picture

Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718

$22.00



Genuine OEM Apple 70W USB-C Power Adapter picture

Genuine OEM Apple 70W USB-C Power Adapter

$34.99



apple oem cube 5w charger  picture

apple oem cube 5w charger

$6.99