-
Senior Member
registered user
Further refinements to the personal backup idea.
.
I've incorporated all of Werner's excellent suggestions, and since
I found I never referred to the tar listing, that's been omitted.
In examining the remaining contributors to the 'personal backup', I found
that not only is .mozilla the real space hog, but its caches are its
biggest contributors. It is possible to clear at least one of these caches
with a quick trip to the IceWeasel Edit>Preferences GUI before making
a backup, resulting in a great reduction in the size of the stored file.
A revised listing is as follows:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
# new.backup2: do 'chmod +x new.backup2' & 'chown root:root new.backup2'
# Before backup, Go to Edit>Prefs on IceWeasel & 'Clear Now' the Off-Line cache.
#
cd /; STOR=/mnt-system/update$(date +'%m%d%H').tar.gz
echo -e 'Compressing data; patience, this may take a little time..\c'
tar -czf $STOR KNOPPIX-DATA/home/ KNOPPIX-DATA/etc/ \
KNOPPIX-DATA/root/ mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
echo '.Done.'; echo 'Restore using the command, tar -xzf '$STOR' -C /'
#
exit 0
Now if some clever person here will inform me of some appropriate API,
assuming there is one, we might automate that effort as well. This is
to say that I haven't been able to 'exclude' from the tar inclusion
the Cache & OfflineCache directories from ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/
which are the culprits I'd like to exclude.
-
Werner's excellent suggestions
Please, don't exaggerate 
A suggestion with exclude something:
Code:
cd /; STOR=/mnt-system/update$(date +'%m%d%H').tar.gz
echo -e 'Compressing data; patience, this may take a little time..\n'
tar -cz --exclude=*/Cache/* --exclude=*/OfflineCache/* \
-f $STOR KNOPPIX-DATA/home/ KNOPPIX-DATA/etc/ \
KNOPPIX-DATA/root/ mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks, I needed that.
.
With that refinement, my backup only takes 46 Mb now.
Thanks a heap & best regards.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US
$349.00