Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: a new & improved, self-contained Knoppix personal backup

Threaded View

  1. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, Werner.

    I hope the goblins have returned your lxmenu to your top-line-lxpanel by now.

    Sorry you are having problems with my little backup program.
    I can't duplicate your complaint here.
    The steps are:

    1. Use my program prepare /mnt-system/update.tar.gz.
    2. Move update.tar.gz to /mnt-system./KNOPPIX temporarily.
    3a If the system is behaving, leave /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img where it is
    and reboot.
    Screen should indicate both knoppix-data.img and update.tar.gz being read-in.
    When system comes up, move update.tar.gz one level back to /mnt-system for safe-keeping.
    3b If the system is not behaving, either delete knoppix-data.img or move it out of
    /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/ and reboot.
    Screen should first ask you to re-establish persistence (my words). Do so.
    As I recall, once persistence is established, update.tar.gz is read in.
    If that's not the case, reboot and things should proceed as in 3a.

    I appreciate your refinements to my crude programming and will incorporate these
    to some extent. I sometimes leave things 'spread out' so I can more easily remember
    and/or change them. I am mindful of the elegance of brevity, but my short-term memory
    isn't so good as it once was.

    I have been lucky up to now not to get my update*'s confused. It is time I used a
    technique such as yours to keep them distinctly identified. Thanks for the idea.
    Last edited by utu; 09-30-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$334.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i  CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD picture

LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD

$250.00



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black

$313.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14.0

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14.0" 16GB 512GB, BLACK

$285.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 3 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 3 14" 32GB 512GB, BLACK

$432.00