Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: a new & improved, self-contained Knoppix personal backup

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    A little suggestion
    Code:
    STOR=update$(date +'%m%d%y').tar.gz
    cd /
    tar -czf /mnt-system/$STOR KNOPPIX-DATA/home/ KNOPPIX-DATA/root/ \
        mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, Werner.

    I hope the goblins have returned your lxmenu to your top-line-lxpanel by now.

    Sorry you are having problems with my little backup program.
    I can't duplicate your complaint here.
    The steps are:

    1. Use my program prepare /mnt-system/update.tar.gz.
    2. Move update.tar.gz to /mnt-system./KNOPPIX temporarily.
    3a If the system is behaving, leave /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img where it is
    and reboot.
    Screen should indicate both knoppix-data.img and update.tar.gz being read-in.
    When system comes up, move update.tar.gz one level back to /mnt-system for safe-keeping.
    3b If the system is not behaving, either delete knoppix-data.img or move it out of
    /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/ and reboot.
    Screen should first ask you to re-establish persistence (my words). Do so.
    As I recall, once persistence is established, update.tar.gz is read in.
    If that's not the case, reboot and things should proceed as in 3a.

    I appreciate your refinements to my crude programming and will incorporate these
    to some extent. I sometimes leave things 'spread out' so I can more easily remember
    and/or change them. I am mindful of the elegance of brevity, but my short-term memory
    isn't so good as it once was.

    I have been lucky up to now not to get my update*'s confused. It is time I used a
    technique such as yours to keep them distinctly identified. Thanks for the idea.
    Last edited by utu; 09-30-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch

$69.99



Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch picture

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch

$749.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G

$75.00



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50