Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: a new & improved, self-contained Knoppix personal backup

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, Werner.

    I hope the goblins have returned your lxmenu to your top-line-lxpanel by now.

    Sorry you are having problems with my little backup program.
    I can't duplicate your complaint here.
    The steps are:

    1. Use my program prepare /mnt-system/update.tar.gz.
    2. Move update.tar.gz to /mnt-system./KNOPPIX temporarily.
    3a If the system is behaving, leave /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img where it is
    and reboot.
    Screen should indicate both knoppix-data.img and update.tar.gz being read-in.
    When system comes up, move update.tar.gz one level back to /mnt-system for safe-keeping.
    3b If the system is not behaving, either delete knoppix-data.img or move it out of
    /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/ and reboot.
    Screen should first ask you to re-establish persistence (my words). Do so.
    As I recall, once persistence is established, update.tar.gz is read in.
    If that's not the case, reboot and things should proceed as in 3a.

    I appreciate your refinements to my crude programming and will incorporate these
    to some extent. I sometimes leave things 'spread out' so I can more easily remember
    and/or change them. I am mindful of the elegance of brevity, but my short-term memory
    isn't so good as it once was.

    I have been lucky up to now not to get my update*'s confused. It is time I used a
    technique such as yours to keep them distinctly identified. Thanks for the idea.
    Last edited by utu; 09-30-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



Intel Core i7-12700 12 Core X208K805 LGA 1700 AS IS picture

Intel Core i7-12700 12 Core X208K805 LGA 1700 AS IS

$99.99



Mixed Lot of 5 Intel Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs - SR3QS SR0PK SR3Y8 SR32W SR0T8 picture

Mixed Lot of 5 Intel Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs - SR3QS SR0PK SR3Y8 SR32W SR0T8

$139.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00



AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad

$355.99