-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
If you boot Knoppix with cheatcode "noimage" you can only see persistent memory in the (compressed) file '/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img'. If you boot without this cheatcode you can also see the persistent memory in the (decompressed) directory '/KNOPPIX-DATA/'.
I would not have expected this to be the case.
I would expect the cheatcode noimage to suppress the un-compressed .img file which has both the errors and the new program material in it, leaving you with just the initially installed compressed KNOPPIX file.
The .img file is not compressed. That would take up too much time on shut-down, for one thing.
I can see that the cheatcode noimage may indeed serve a useful purpose, but I'd not describe it the way you have.
And, if the .img is ok, I don't want to change it.
Last edited by utu; 10-01-2011 at 07:00 PM.
-
The file 'knoppix-data.img' or in case of encryption 'knoppix-data.aes' is always compressed! Have a look at it with midnightcommander.
If you boot Knoppix, it is mounted (and decompressed) via '/dev/loop0' to '/KNOPPIX-DATA'. If you boot with cheatcode "noimage" nothing happens with '..img' or '..aes'
Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
The file 'knoppix-data.img' or in case of encryption 'knoppix-data.aes' is always compressed! Have a look at it with midnightcommander.
If you boot Knoppix, it is mounted (and decompressed) via '/dev/loop0' to '/KNOPPIX-DATA'. If you boot with cheatcode "noimage" nothing happens with '..img' or '..aes'
Sorry to intrude into this discussion. All other things do not interest me, but knoppix-data.img or knoppix-data.aes is always ***UNCOMPRESSED***. I don't use midnightcommander, but if midnightcommander tells you that it is compressed, then throw midnightcommander away ! Knoppix-data.img is just a normal EXT2/3/4 file system, which can mount it yourself using /dev/loop0 and it is read-write. Again, a perfectly usual read/write EXT file system ! There is nothing unusual about knoppix-data.img.
If it is compressed, it is not so easily becoming writable !
-
Sorry to intrude into this discussion. All other things do not interest me, but knoppix-data.img or knoppix-data.aes is always ***UNCOMPRESSED***.
Thank you for the correction, you are right. (And I thought, nobody else read this thread.)
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 10-02-2011 at 09:07 AM.
-
Senior Member
registered user
since I can't just delete my prior post...
.
I've re-considered the exact terms of my comments, noting the following:
My KNOPPIX-DATA is about........ 385 Mb
My knoppix-data.img is about..... 943.7 Mb
My original CD's KNOPPIX is........ 722.4 Mb.
I think the CD's KNOPPIX is compressed; KNOPPIX-DATA is un-compressed; and
I expect that knoppix-data.img must be some combination of the two not requiring
any wholesale compression of the entire uncompressed UNION at shutdown.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188
$24.94

Cisco WS-C3850-48P-S 48-Port PoE+ Gigabit Switch w/ 10G Uplink Module Options
$259.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G
$75.00

Cisco ASR 901 Series A901-12C-FT-D Aggregation Services Router 800-40055-01
$122.40