Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Tell me about the Knoppix firewall

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Tell me about the Knoppix firewall

    .
    With each Knoppix new version I ask the same question
    about Menu>Preferences>Knoppix firewall.

    Since this GUI doesn't save any information, is there a default that
    is satisfactory or might there be a problem?

    I've never received AND understood any answer I've gotten.
    Can someone take another try at enlightening me?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    I believe you are hitting a bug. Basically the script works for a previous previous old version of Knoppix but it has not been updated since. You can look at /etc/init.d/firewall if you are interested to find out how it works and perhaps you can also try to fix the saving error.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Edit '/usr/sbin/firewall' at position 'saveconfig()'
    and change 'mount | grep -q "KNOPPIX.IMG"' to 'mount | grep -q "KNOPPIX-DATA"'

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Wow! Thanks, what fast service

    @ kl522 & Werner

    I'll try this.
    The last time I asked, Forester told me to fix it myself.
    Now I may be able to do so.
    Thanks again.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    So, I changed /usr/sbin/firewall line 288 from 'KNOPPIX-DATA.img' to 'KNOPPIX-DATA'.
    The GUI now accepts my choices.

    Now in /etc/init.d/firewall line 272, I note the default has always been 'easy'.
    and in line 136 I see 'easy' means 'only-outgoing'. That's a relief.

    And, I'm adding /usr/sbin/firewall to my backup list, just in case I ever change
    from 'easy' to 'something else'.
    Last edited by utu; 10-03-2011 at 03:46 PM.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    '/etc/init.d/firewall' is only a symlink to '/usr/sbin/firewall'.
    The settings are written to '/etc/sysconfig/firewall'.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ Werner

    That's serendipitous. I've already got that covered with etc.
    I didn't think to check that /usr/sbin/firewall might have been a symlink. Thanks again.

    I see on debian-knoppix mail list that KK has gotten the word on this.

    When will a change actually show up in isos for download?
    Will that not be until a version change?
    Or are there ongoing changes with later-dated 6.7.1 isos?

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ Werner & kl522

    I note that for both the LiveCD and the LiveUSB
    there is no /etc/sysconfig/firewall file if the Knoppix Firewall GUI
    has not successfully registered any choices.

    After 'correcting' /usr/sbin/firewall I note that there is now
    an /etc/sysconfig/firewall file with my choices registered thus:
    ACTIVE='yes'
    CURRENTMODE='easy'
    Which is completely satisfactory.

    It is no longer obvious to me what the PRIOR state of the firewall was
    before our intervention. The default for CURRENTMODE seems ok, but
    I don't know how to determine whether the firewall was ever indeed
    ACTIVE in the prior situation.

    As an amendment to my post #7, I think it necessary to keep usr/bin/firewall in
    my backup repertoire until such time as I am using one of KK's isos
    that incorportate the correction.

  10. #10
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    No, it's sufficient to save '/etc/sysconfig/firewall' in your private update.tar.gz
    And why not download the new firewall package and install with "dpkg -i"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600

$239.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



Toshiba MG03ACA400 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5

Toshiba MG03ACA400 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise HDD (V6313)

$61.56



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99