-
Senior Member
registered user
Tell me about the Knoppix firewall
.
With each Knoppix new version I ask the same question
about Menu>Preferences>Knoppix firewall.
Since this GUI doesn't save any information, is there a default that
is satisfactory or might there be a problem?
I've never received AND understood any answer I've gotten.
Can someone take another try at enlightening me?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I believe you are hitting a bug. Basically the script works for a previous previous old version of Knoppix but it has not been updated since. You can look at /etc/init.d/firewall if you are interested to find out how it works and perhaps you can also try to fix the saving error.
-
Edit '/usr/sbin/firewall' at position 'saveconfig()'
and change 'mount | grep -q "KNOPPIX.IMG"' to 'mount | grep -q "KNOPPIX-DATA"'
Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)
-
Senior Member
registered user
Wow! Thanks, what fast service
@ kl522 & Werner
I'll try this.
The last time I asked, Forester told me to fix it myself.
Now I may be able to do so.
Thanks again.
-
Senior Member
registered user
So, I changed /usr/sbin/firewall line 288 from 'KNOPPIX-DATA.img' to 'KNOPPIX-DATA'.
The GUI now accepts my choices.
Now in /etc/init.d/firewall line 272, I note the default has always been 'easy'.
and in line 136 I see 'easy' means 'only-outgoing'. That's a relief.
And, I'm adding /usr/sbin/firewall to my backup list, just in case I ever change
from 'easy' to 'something else'.
Last edited by utu; 10-03-2011 at 03:46 PM.
-
'/etc/init.d/firewall' is only a symlink to '/usr/sbin/firewall'.
The settings are written to '/etc/sysconfig/firewall'.
-
Senior Member
registered user
@ Werner
That's serendipitous. I've already got that covered with etc.
I didn't think to check that /usr/sbin/firewall might have been a symlink. Thanks again.
I see on debian-knoppix mail list that KK has gotten the word on this.
When will a change actually show up in isos for download?
Will that not be until a version change?
Or are there ongoing changes with later-dated 6.7.1 isos?
-
-
Senior Member
registered user
@ Werner & kl522
I note that for both the LiveCD and the LiveUSB
there is no /etc/sysconfig/firewall file if the Knoppix Firewall GUI
has not successfully registered any choices.
After 'correcting' /usr/sbin/firewall I note that there is now
an /etc/sysconfig/firewall file with my choices registered thus:
ACTIVE='yes'
CURRENTMODE='easy'
Which is completely satisfactory.
It is no longer obvious to me what the PRIOR state of the firewall was
before our intervention. The default for CURRENTMODE seems ok, but
I don't know how to determine whether the firewall was ever indeed
ACTIVE in the prior situation.
As an amendment to my post #7, I think it necessary to keep usr/bin/firewall in
my backup repertoire until such time as I am using one of KK's isos
that incorportate the correction.
-
No, it's sufficient to save '/etc/sysconfig/firewall' in your private update.tar.gz
And why not download the new firewall package and install with "dpkg -i"?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount
$350.00

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.
$197.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99