Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: lxde/compiz lost window decorations

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423

    lxde/compiz lost window decorations

    I do have another irritating problem with lxde/compiz though, that occasionally when I restarted the X windows, I lost my window decorations, ie any window I bring up is running without a frame. I found out that compiz is running, gtk-window-decorator is also running, but I just don't get the window decoration. I bring up a lxterminal and typed :-

    $ gtk-window-decorator --replace &

    That will fix it but it's just bloody irritating.

    Also would like to know if others are facing the same issue.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ kl522

    I've seen the 'lost window decorations' thing on occasion.

    As time goes by I have retired a few of the Compiz effects,
    such as SCALE and EXPO. I think this MAY have reduced the
    frequency of these occurences, but that's only a guess.

    I'll give your recovery technique a try the next time I
    see the frames and such corrupted. Up 'til now I've just
    used Control-Alt-Backspace after closing things down,
    if or when that's possible.

    There is a Compiz re-start menu choice; have you tried that
    to correct the 'decorations' problem?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    compiz-related comment

    .
    @ kl522

    I note the following FWIW.
    If you read /usr/share/doc/compiz/README.Debian, you find the following note
    in regard to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

    Code:
      + Make XAA not hold any pixmaps in offscreen memory. This slows down compiz
        in many configurations. You can disable this by adding the following line
        to your "Device" section:
    
            Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    My copy of 6.7.1 LiveCD/LiveUSB omits the "true".
    I am adding "true" to my xorg.conf, to see if things change in any way.

    Any reason why it should be missing?
    Last edited by utu; 10-12-2011 at 05:37 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I'll answer my own question; sorry for the intrusion.
    Under man xorg.conf I find:

    Code:
    Boolean options may optionally have a value specified.  When  no  value
           is specified, the option's value is TRUE.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I've seen the 'lost window decorations' thing on occasion.
    I am pretty sure other sees that too, most are keeping quiet. If one searches for reports of such problem with compiz, he will come across quite a few of those on the net. Some of them reported crashes of gtk-window-decorator, but for my case, the gtk-window-decorator is still running, but it is probably blocked at something.
    As time goes by I have retired a few of the Compiz effects,
    such as SCALE and EXPO. I think this MAY have reduced the
    frequency of these occurences, but that's only a guess.
    Maybe yes maybe no but as long as there is an instance of it loses
    it's window decorations, it still mean the quality need to be improved.

    There is a Compiz re-start menu choice; have you tried that
    to correct the 'decorations' problem?
    If my memory serves me right, this only works if compiz itself and/or if gtk-window-decorator has crashed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD picture

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD

$100.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73