-
Live encrypted USB - General issues with hardware/synaptic
Hi there.
I'm new to KNOPPIX having tried Ubuntu. KNOPPIX appears much better for my needs, and so far its been great but I have a few small problems that are killing the experience for me.
I wanted a portable, encrypted USB stick LIVE version to carry around with me. In use, this has caused me the following issues:
1) despite having persitance, my keyboard is set to Euro, not UK. When I use the cheatcode, everything is (almost) OK, but it doesn't persist after reboot. I have used search and the forum directs me to change settings in the "control centre" in the K menu. This doesn't exist. Any other ideas would be welcome.
2) When I try to load apps on from Synaptic, a lot of them won't load. For example, VLC and my Radeon HD drivers for Compiz. When I try to install them, synaptic says that they have dependencies that aren't loaded. When I try to load them, they fail because of versioning issues or because they aren't found. I've loaded a massive list of repositories, but this didn't help. What's going on here? In ubuntu, synaptic resolves all the dependencies, loads what you need and never complains! How can I get knoppix to co-operate here?
I'm sure these are common issues but I just haven't been able to find any answers via search.
Thanks for your suggestions.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
scott2907
1) despite having persitance, my keyboard is set to Euro, not UK. When I use the cheatcode, everything is (almost) OK, but it doesn't persist after reboot.
After you booted from the USB with the right cheat code, you can add the cheatcode into /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg, that will make it persist.
How can I get knoppix to co-operate here?
You should probably use the DVD version instead of the CD version, that will make it less need for you to load additional packages. Did you click the "Reload" button on the left handside ? That's an important step for you to get to synchronize to the latest packages.
Tags for this Thread
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00