-
2.6-test, anyone?
Has anyone tried a 2.6 test kernel with these instructions? I'll give it a whirl, if I can find the time.
-SUO
-
I got and used a vanilla kernel from kernel.org and had no problems upgrading to get to 2.4.22 and it took fewer commands than this.
Maybe I'm just not as paranoid? Whatever, you find what works for you and run with it.
There is also more than one way to do these things, obviously.
-
Thanks for the tips. I tried upgrading using the standard Debian method and my system couldn't find the new modules setup. This did the trick.
-
Kernel build
Having no success with initrd to get ext3 up, decided to follow your procedure and redo the kernel. Downloaded the 2.4.22 package, first tried making a fresh xconfig but had to edit its result anyway since ext3 and jbd were not even choices there so reverted back to the existing config and edited that. All this was not so terrible. After editing it, read it into the xsonfig and then saved.
First tried to make-kpkg with the modules (not necessary, since they were all there--same version as I have, but). This proceded, left a 3meg vmlinuz on the src directory but did produce anything usable. I was no really looking, I suppose. Cleaned and did it again with out the modules (I am not trying to make an initrd but activated the cramfs as well). Where it fails (it took longer this time!!), is that it cannot open a ....\extra\module... file for writing and exited error=255. I was not out of disk space. The "extra" subdirectory was not there. Made it, repeated (without cleaning, it passes everything already done--tell us that!), the same error.
Afraid I was out of diskspace, I removed the package (everything already compiled). Repeat the make-dpkg which failed at the same point. So another 30meg did not help. I ended up deleting the whole business--will try again when I know more, probably with 2.6.
1. There were compiler warnings--long too small for integer constant !!!, deprecated operations, result always true/false because of size of variable, etc. Don't like that.
2. How much disk space IS really needed to do this.
3. How does one recover from the error and procedes.
4. That too-large vmlinuz? What is it? Too big for lilo.
Similar Threads
-
By Albert in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-26-2004, 05:26 PM
-
By Smoke187 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-25-2004, 12:58 AM
-
By eracerbit in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-22-2004, 12:48 AM
-
By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-20-2003, 02:11 PM
-
By ozfrog in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 DDR4 PC4-2133P M393A4K40BB0-CPB4Q ECC Server Memory Module
$150.00

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON
$149.99