Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: patch knoppix kernel

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3

    patch knoppix kernel

    I am trying to build a Knoppix CD with a patched kernel. I use knoppix 6.7.1. The reason for this project can be found at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...hardware-raid5.
    I am familiar with the Remastering-Howto and I have done this a few times (only minor changes). Before applying kernel patches I would first like to rebuild the knoppix kernel and make a live CD from it. Step 2 would be to play around with kernel patches.
    I went through http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Custom_Kernel_Howto but did not get the full picture yet. Some of the information seems outdated. The Howto mentions some knoppix specific patches beeing "on the CD". But where? Especially I am missing the information on the appropriate kernel source to install. After chrooting into /mnt/sda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX and apt-get update there is no know (meta-) package linux(-3.0.4) which can be easily installed. This is probably for a reason. Can anyone give me Information which source list I have to apt-cache and what I will have to install to rebuild the knoppix-Kernel?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I would download and install the package linux-source-3.0.4_3.0.4-10.00.Custom_all.deb. This will give you a tar archive with the kernel sources in /usr/src. After extraction you will have a new subdirectory tree with all the kernel sources.

    I would suggest that you start with
    Code:
    make oldconfig
    and
    Code:
    make menuconfig
    This enables you to examine the current configuration of the Linux kernel.

    You can read more on the Debian-Knoppix mailing list about how Klaus Knopper compiles a Linux kernel for Knoppix: Re: Problems trying to recompile the Linux Kernel 64 bits on Knoppix 6.7

    I think you have to install some more packages like fakeroot and make-kpkg using apt-get.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC

$115.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$128.00



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99