Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Cable Modem Install for Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    USA, CT
    Posts
    5

    Cable Modem Install for Knoppix

    Well, This is my first time actually succesfully having any version of linux on my computer, anyway, I loaded up the CD kick ass it works , ok next....prob, I try to get onto internet, and no luck , and tryed to do a search for modem only got my Ethernet which is on the motherboard, I do not use it, I use a USB Cable. So if anyone has any information on how I can get my internet to work I would be very greatful thank you.

    -SniperNeo

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    USA, CT
    Posts
    5
    Also, Why is it that I fixed Knoppix up the background and stuff, and I Log Out and go back to windows for a bit and go back to Knoppix 10 minutes later, why does my stuff that I did get removed back to default version of knoppix

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    I have a broadband connection using a USB port, I'm a newbie but I think the module that drives this device is called 'CDCEther' and you can make sure it is loaded with 'modprobe CDCEther' - from the 'Root shell' (Knoppix menu).

    Then type 'netcardconfig' and it should show two ports, your onboard ethernet (eth0) and a second one, your USB connection - eth1 - either choose DHCP or enter the correct settings (your ISP will have given you those).

    If any of this is wrong - can someone else help this chap!

    Stu.....

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22

    no solution but suggestion

    well since you are giving a shot to linux and trying something new, why dont you try hooking up a network cable to eth0 rather than going through usb. usb network is for computer illerate. sign of linux/knoppix shows your interest towards computer literacy.

    is it making any sense. i have never used usb networking but i think ethernet networking would be much more simplier and easier.

    good luck

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: no solution but suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by certifieduser
    well since you are giving a shot to linux and trying something new, why dont you try hooking up a network cable to eth0 rather than going through usb. good luck
    I'm betting his cable modem only connects via usb. There are some cable and dsl modems out there like this. If not, then yes I would deffintely go for ethernet.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    If you have a fairly powerful PC, the overhead using USB doesn't matter and you can use the 'spare' ethernet port for a home network! (saves a bit of cash!)

    Stu.....

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    USA, CT
    Posts
    5
    I have a Ethernet one but, I have had problems trying to install it for regular windows, so I thought it would be best I stick with USB which is slower at times, I will try the Ethernet Cable in a few minutes from my cable modem to my Ethernet card inside my PC, and see what happends other wise I will do that other suggestion someone said about the konsole, ok well. I will tell you what happend wish me luck

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    USA, CT
    Posts
    5
    Well, i tryed to install the danm, thing, wouldn't work, so I am off to try the USB version, I tryed everyting I could to get the thing to work, so like I said I am off, I will tell you what happen later, also does anyone know why all my settings reset to default and I lose what I transfer over everytime I loggoff of Knoppix?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    USA, CT
    Posts
    5
    Alright, I tyred to do the thing "Stu...." said with Modprobe and stuff, Well it found 3 things but failed or something and 1 said that the operation couldn't be done like a restriction. So I can't get onto the net so I still need some help. Thanks

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3

    Cable modem specs

    Superneo, if you could post the cable modem manufacturer and model number it would be very helpful in trying to help you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 02:35 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-01-2004, 01:53 AM
  3. how do i use my cable modem with knoppix or how to install
    By illcuban in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2003, 02:45 AM
  4. Newbie - Cable modem install
    By slicksps in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-09-2003, 02:49 AM
  5. Knoppix (Debian) pppoeconf and cable modem
    By guest in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-30-2002, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00