Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Utility for increasing size of Knoppix persistent disk image

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    53

    Utility for increasing size of Knoppix persistent disk image

    As we start using knoppix more and more, a need starts to appear to increase the size of the home image. I initially started mine at 512mb, and today it is 84% full. If there is a utility to increase it it would be great. Also, I noticed that my iceweasal got upgraded with the firefox upgrade. When the next version of knoppix comes out, how will this upgrade affect the version in knoppix. Maybe application upgrades need to be kept in a special location that we can wipe out when we upgrade to a new version of knoppix. Since I am running from the ISO, these upgrades are taking up space in my home image.

    Thanks
    Neeraj Nigam

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    148
    Since I just faced this, and figure I should put the answer up somewhere I can find it next time I need it...
    although there are other posts that have answered it already such as http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=85059#85059

    On AN UMOUNTED knoppix.img...
    resize2fs /pathTo/your/knoppix.img sizeM (where sizeM is how big you wish it to be in Megabytes,)

    That command's output instructs me to do another command... which I do.
    Then repeating the resize2fs knoppix.img sizeM command just works.


    I found this on Google Books version of Knoppix Hacks by Kyle Rankin page 66, Hack 21.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4

    Increasing size of Knoppix persistent disk image

    Hi johnrw and thanks for your reply on increasing disk image size.
    The problem is as we increase the disk size, it becomes full very soon by doing just for example surfing web.
    Please have a look on http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118120
    I'm using Knoppix version 6.0.1 Live CD which I've installed it on a USB flash disk. And the instructions on that post could not solve my problem as there was no such commands like "gauge" or "killgauge".
    Any idea ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    It would save a lot of time if a small persistent size could be used initially and have a menu choice to add move space and maybe even a warning message if getting low.

    I was amazed how fast knoppix created a boot USB and how much time it took to create a persistent space. Would be really helpful to have an easy way to add more space.

Similar Threads

  1. Persistent Knoppix disk image in GNOME
    By Marge in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 04:57 PM
  2. Create a persistent Knoppix disk image...but where??
    By Canard blanc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 04:26 AM
  3. About creating a persistent Knoppix disk image
    By mramos in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 10:50 AM
  4. Increase size of persistent disk image
    By nnigam in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 03:15 PM
  5. error creating a persistent disk image Knoppix 4.02
    By Ormin in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2006, 05:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)

$310.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1 picture

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1

$60.00



Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM picture

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM

$99.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$119.99



Samsung Chromebook 4 11.6

Samsung Chromebook 4 11.6" HD, N4000, 6GB, 64GB EMMC, Platinum Titan

$165.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77