Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Daylight savings time

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Daylight savings time

    .
    On 11/6/11, my Knoppix 6.7.1 LiveUSB seemed to require adding ntpdate to provide
    the correct transition from daylight-savings to standard time via internet access to NTP.

    The other settings which without ntpdate seemed all right for Eastern US time until
    this Sunday were as follows:

    My hardware clock is set to local time; in /etc/default/rcS, 'UTC=no' is set; and in
    /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.conf, kernel option is set to 'tz=America/New_York'.

    I've not changed any of these settings, only added ntpdate via Synaptic.

    I think I've found that booting up Windows 7 on the same computer after the time change
    has occurred has the same effect, without requiring the addition of ntpdate.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    I've not changed any of these settings, only added ntpdate via Synaptic.
    Only installing ntpdate via synaptic is of no use.
    You have to run ntpdate either manually or in a cron-job. And it is very important, which parameter you use for ntpdate.

    In an earlier posting I mentioned, you will run in trouble with dualboot installation of Linux and Windows, if your BIOS clock isn't UTC.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hi, Werner.
    Nice to hear from you.

    I was and am surprised at how compatible ntpdate is with Windows 7
    with the configuration I have described.

    If I were dual booting more often,
    I might have imagined that ntpdate was unnecessary.

    As it is the effective appearance is:
    If Windows has 'updated the hardware clock', ntpdate does nothing;
    If Windows hasn't 'updated the hardware clock', then ntpdate does so.

    I know the Linux standard is UTC. I still prefer local time.
    I think I now have identified all the pieces that go together
    to make that happen consistently.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Which parameter do you use with "ntpdate" and how do you start it:
    manually or via cron-job?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hi, Werner.
    I have just accepted the default /etc/default/ntpdate, which is:

    Code:
    # The settings in this file are used by the program ntpdate-debian, but not
    # by the upstream program ntpdate.
    
    # Set to "yes" to take the server list from /etc/ntp.conf, from package ntp,
    # so you only have to keep it in one place.
    NTPDATE_USE_NTP_CONF=yes
    
    # List of NTP servers to use  (Separate multiple servers with spaces.)
    # Not used if NTPDATE_USE_NTP_CONF is yes.
    NTPSERVERS="0.debian.pool.ntp.org 1.debian.pool.ntp.org 2.debian.pool.ntp.org 3.debian.pool.ntp.org"
    
    # Additional options to pass to ntpdate
    NTPOPTIONS=""
    It may be noted that there is no file /etc/ntp.conf in my /etc.

    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ less /etc/services | grep ntp
    nntp 119/tcp readnews untp # USENET News Transfer Protocol
    ntp 123/tcp
    ntp 123/udp # Network Time Protocol
    nntps 563/tcp snntp # NNTP over SSL
    nntps 563/udp snntp
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$

    Also, I do NOT also have ntp itself installed.
    Last edited by utu; 11-08-2011 at 09:20 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    ps: Werner, this may be what you are looking for:

    /var/log/dpkg/info/ntpdate.conffiles:
    /etc/network/if-up.d/ntpdate
    /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.server/ntpdate
    /etc/dhcp/dhclient-exit-hooks.d/ntpdate
    /etc/default/ntpdate

    There is indeed an executable file ntpdate in /etc/if-up.d,
    and that's the way it seems to work: within one minute of
    getting wifi on-line, a time correction is made.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I was having this usual problem of mine also setting up Mint 11 LXDE,

    To cure the local time problem, per Mint forum:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-time-admin, then
    System Tools>Time>Zone>America/New_York, in my case.

    This works on Mint 11; it's worth a try here.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    ps
    I've tried this via Synaptic and concluded that Knoppix
    doesn't have enough gnome infrastructure to run gnome-time-admin, unfortunately.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested picture

Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested

$670.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$329.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99