Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Troubleshooting hardware with Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1

    Troubleshooting hardware with Knoppix

    I am a Knoppix dullard - up until today I had only ever used it to check disks.

    I have a PC (Dell desktop) which refuses to boot, from HD, from Ubuntu installation CD, and from the Knoppix CD (6.2.1). It reads the CD or HD, but then freezes. This seems to happen when it tries to enter graphics mode. It also happily read a Windows installation CD up to the point where it wanted to install Windows.

    The only way I can get it to boot with Knoppix is using the following cheat codes:

    Code:
    knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3
    This scrolls a lot of messages, then returns

    Code:
    Past mounting /mnt-system
    sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
    / #
    The commands that are then available to me do not seem to include any that I can use to troubleshoot the hardware. I tried

    Code:
    / # dmesg | less
    but the pipe into less doesn't seem to work.

    I Googled for help on using busybox, but can't find anything usefull.

    Can anyone suggest how I can troubleshoot my PC from here, or other ways to boot Knoppix (I haven't tried all options yet)?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by dormant View Post


    Can anyone suggest how I can troubleshoot my PC from here, or other ways to boot Knoppix (I haven't tried all options yet)?
    howabout trying this at the boot prompt:

    knoppix 2


    this should boot knoppix directly into text mode (2 is the runlevel for text mode ie no graphics)

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    95
    Another thing you might try is a different version of knoppix, especially for older hardware. I keep around old versions of knoppix for this very purpose. Try 5.1 if you can find it. How old is this desktop?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$175.00



Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675) picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675)

$139.95



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor…. picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….

$309.99



SRF8X Intel Xeon Gold 6240 18 Core 2.60GHz 24.75MB 150W Processor  CPU picture

SRF8X Intel Xeon Gold 6240 18 Core 2.60GHz 24.75MB 150W Processor CPU

$19.99



Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS picture

Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS

$199.99



HP Z840 Workstation 8-Core E5-2630 v3 2.40GHz No RAM No HDD No OS No GPU picture

HP Z840 Workstation 8-Core E5-2630 v3 2.40GHz No RAM No HDD No OS No GPU

$329.98