Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Help with PXE and Broadcom 4401 network card

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    20

    Help with PXE and Broadcom 4401 network card

    I have tried both knoppix 6.7.0 and 6.7.1 (cd rom versions).

    The problem is this: if I boot to CD, I noticed that modules ssb.ko and b44.ko are blacklisted. a comment for ssb.ko is that it breaks a wireless driver on a HP mini. There's no real comment on b44, other than it depends on ssb, so maybe that's the thinking there.

    the problem is I'm trying to boot Dell Inspiron's, which have this card. If I boot to CD, and uncomment out the blacklist, then modprobe b44 loads and works great.

    However, I am using a PXE environment. When it attempts to PXE boot the Inspiron, i get dropped to /bin/sh tty job control off thing.

    This tells me the initram is not loading the nic drivers, and it can't establish the NFS connection to the PXE server.

    I gunzip / cpio -id the initram, and in the /modules/net folder I find...

    00_ssb.ko
    b44.ko

    So I'm officially confused. I do not see any sort of a blacklist entry, and in the init script, it seems to me it calls all files in the /modules/net folder and sends them to insmod.

    So why is it failing to load b44 and do my network? From my investigation, no firmware is required for these cards either. I can't seem to troubleshoot this as i see no messages other than:

    "loading kernel"
    "/bin/sh job control turned off"

    help please?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    20
    Well I finally got it to work, thanks to the command modinfo.

    I knew b44 was dependent on ssb based on google. I did not know that ssb was dependent on pcmcia.ko.

    I added pcmcia.ko to the initram, and it all worked. Might i suggest that pcmcia.ko be included by default for the Knoppix terminal server initram?

    I am no genius with drivers and conflicts, but I can't imagine loading drivers/pcmcia/pcmcia.ko breaks any network things, but it will allow those inspirons to load.

    and just because I'm not sure about insmod order, I put it in the folder as 00_0pcmcia.ko to ensure first load.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU picture

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU

$279.99



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 18 Core 2.3 GHz 45MB SR1XD LGA 2011-3 B Grade picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 18 Core 2.3 GHz 45MB SR1XD LGA 2011-3 B Grade

$15.95



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99



HP Z2 G5 Workstation Xeon W-1250 32GB 1TB SSD NVIDIA RTX 4000 Win11 Pro picture

HP Z2 G5 Workstation Xeon W-1250 32GB 1TB SSD NVIDIA RTX 4000 Win11 Pro

$560.00