I am a Knoppix dullard - up until today I had only ever used it to check disks.
I have a PC (Dell desktop) which refuses to boot, from HD, from Ubuntu installation CD, and from the Knoppix CD (6.2.1). It reads the CD or HD, but then freezes. This seems to happen when it tries to enter graphics mode. It also happily read a Windows installation CD up to the point where it wanted to install Windows.
The only way I can get it to boot with Knoppix is using the following cheat codes:
This scrolls a lot of messages, then returnsCode:knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3
The commands that are then available to me do not seem to include any that I can use to troubleshoot the hardware. I triedCode:Past mounting /mnt-system sh: can't access tty: job control turned off / #
but the pipe into less doesn't seem to work.Code:/ # dmesg | less
I Googled for help on using busybox, but can't find anything usefull.
Can anyone suggest how I can troubleshoot my PC from here, or other ways to boot Knoppix (I haven't tried all options yet)?
Another thing you might try is a different version of knoppix, especially for older hardware. I keep around old versions of knoppix for this very purpose. Try 5.1 if you can find it. How old is this desktop?

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$59.99
SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99
Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD
$13.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80
M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health
$35.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac
$60.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00