-
Troubleshooting hardware with Knoppix
I am a Knoppix dullard - up until today I had only ever used it to check disks.
I have a PC (Dell desktop) which refuses to boot, from HD, from Ubuntu installation CD, and from the Knoppix CD (6.2.1). It reads the CD or HD, but then freezes. This seems to happen when it tries to enter graphics mode. It also happily read a Windows installation CD up to the point where it wanted to install Windows.
The only way I can get it to boot with Knoppix is using the following cheat codes:
Code:
knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3
This scrolls a lot of messages, then returns
Code:
Past mounting /mnt-system
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
/ #
The commands that are then available to me do not seem to include any that I can use to troubleshoot the hardware. I tried
but the pipe into less doesn't seem to work.
I Googled for help on using busybox, but can't find anything usefull.
Can anyone suggest how I can troubleshoot my PC from here, or other ways to boot Knoppix (I haven't tried all options yet)?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

1 Dell Ultra SSD M.2 NVMe PCI-Express x16 Solid State Storage Adapter Card 6N9RH
$59.99

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$714.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Dell 3JH35 PERC H740P 8GB PCI-E RAID CONTROLLER CARD W/CABLE
$99.00

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50