Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Troubleshooting hardware with Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1

    Troubleshooting hardware with Knoppix

    I am a Knoppix dullard - up until today I had only ever used it to check disks.

    I have a PC (Dell desktop) which refuses to boot, from HD, from Ubuntu installation CD, and from the Knoppix CD (6.2.1). It reads the CD or HD, but then freezes. This seems to happen when it tries to enter graphics mode. It also happily read a Windows installation CD up to the point where it wanted to install Windows.

    The only way I can get it to boot with Knoppix is using the following cheat codes:

    Code:
    knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3
    This scrolls a lot of messages, then returns

    Code:
    Past mounting /mnt-system
    sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
    / #
    The commands that are then available to me do not seem to include any that I can use to troubleshoot the hardware. I tried

    Code:
    / # dmesg | less
    but the pipe into less doesn't seem to work.

    I Googled for help on using busybox, but can't find anything usefull.

    Can anyone suggest how I can troubleshoot my PC from here, or other ways to boot Knoppix (I haven't tried all options yet)?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by dormant View Post


    Can anyone suggest how I can troubleshoot my PC from here, or other ways to boot Knoppix (I haven't tried all options yet)?
    howabout trying this at the boot prompt:

    knoppix 2


    this should boot knoppix directly into text mode (2 is the runlevel for text mode ie no graphics)

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    95
    Another thing you might try is a different version of knoppix, especially for older hardware. I keep around old versions of knoppix for this very purpose. Try 5.1 if you can find it. How old is this desktop?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$119.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



New Juniper SRX345-SYS-JB-2AC Junos Router Firewall Services Gateway 16GbE SFP picture

New Juniper SRX345-SYS-JB-2AC Junos Router Firewall Services Gateway 16GbE SFP

$560.15



Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter picture

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter

$59.99



Juniper EX4600-40F-AFO 24-Port Dual PSU Network Switch picture

Juniper EX4600-40F-AFO 24-Port Dual PSU Network Switch

$151.98



Juniper EX3400-48T-AFI Ethernet Network Switch 48x1GbE 4x10GbE SFP+ 2x40GbE QSFP picture

Juniper EX3400-48T-AFI Ethernet Network Switch 48x1GbE 4x10GbE SFP+ 2x40GbE QSFP

$139.00



Juniper JPSU-1600-C-AC-AFO 1600W AC Power Supply EX4400 AFO Airflow picture

Juniper JPSU-1600-C-AC-AFO 1600W AC Power Supply EX4400 AFO Airflow

$155.00



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB picture

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB

$54.99