Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: One too many crashes in LibreOffice 3.3.3 - Changing to OpenOffice 3.3.0

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings again, John.

    I'd be interested to hear more about your LibreOffice problems.

    I'm still using LO, but occasionally have a situation which
    causes lxpanel to stall. I've been calling this an LXDE problem.

    I get around my problem with Ctl-Alt-Backspace and have not lost
    any LO work that I am aware-of.

    I've never gotten any sympathy from either LXDE or LO to address
    my problem, which I identified and reported six months ago.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    34
    Hi utu
    Sorry, I don't know if I can help much, though my problem sounds very similar to the one you reported.

    What would happen is that often when i had several [3 or 4] .odt documents open at once - in separate windows that is - and I would be cutting and pasting blocks of text and maybe diagrams as well across into these .odt documents from [mostly] iceweasel but sometimes from icedove.

    Then the whole screen would freeze up and often even Ctrl-Alt-backspace would not get me out of it and i would have to power-off with the switch to turn the machine off and then restart it. Often Libre Office was unable to recover the documents when i next fired it up so the work was lost altogether.

    I think if I remembered to keep only one .odt document open at a time then the freezes happened less often and I don't remember it ever happening when i was only entering text directly from the keyboard -as opposed to interacting whith other programmes via the clipboard.

    Even if the whole system didn't freeze, what would often happen is that when i closed each LibreOffice window then its tab would remain in the window-list part of the LXpanel and I would have to reboot to clear them from the panel. But at least on those occasions it seemed that I was able to save and close the files properly and so I didn't lose data - it was only the tabs from each window left behind in the no longer functioning panel that were the problem.

    Sorry I don't know enough to start looking for the real cause - like whether they are basically a malfunction of LXpanel or of LibreOffice. I haven't [so far] had any similar problems with Open Office 3.3.0 running with the exact same LXDE set-up. Just to remind you - I am using a hard drive install of Knoppix v 6.7.0 DVD.

    I hope one day [soon] someone will find the answer.

    Best wishes, John

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hi, johnmd

    Thanks for your comments.

    It sounds like your problem is a bit more dangerous than my own.
    I don't seem to be in jeopardy of losing any LO material,
    just more of a nuisance doing the Ctl-Alt-Backspace thing.

    I can live with this problem, but I'd like to understand it better
    and localize it a bit more.
    I am spending a little time now with Mint 11 LXDE to see if that distro
    behaves any better.

    My problem occurs so rarely, it's will be hard to observe any
    relative differences if both have the problem.
    Conversely, I'll have to work with Mint for some time before I
    would hazard saying it doesn't have the same difficulty as Knoppix.

    Mint 11 LXDE is a very nice alternative to Knoppix 6.7, so I don't expect
    this to be an unpleasant experience.

    Best regards, utu

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM picture

Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM

$286.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Grade A Micron Cisco 64GB PC4-3200AA DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2 LOT picture

Grade A Micron Cisco 64GB PC4-3200AA DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2 LOT

$599.99



Lot of 3~BAD~NON-WORKING Micron 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V-LE2 Server RAM Memory DDR4 picture

Lot of 3~BAD~NON-WORKING Micron 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V-LE2 Server RAM Memory DDR4

$600.00



LOT OF 4  Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ picture

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ

$469.95



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00