Hi Utu
Thanks for not giving up on this problem, you've got a lot of patience. Have you acrually tried out this solution with the updated lxpanel package. If so, was this with Knoppix 6.7.0 or with Knoppix 6.7.1 I tried deleting the old lxpanel 0.5.6-1, and replacing it with the new lxpanel 0.5.8-3 package but with my 6.7.0 hard drive install i just headed into the ?bottomless slough of dependencies - lxpanel 0.5.8-3 requires a more recent version of libasound2 - which in turn requires multiarch-support which in turn requires a new version of libc6 and other packages - at which stage I chickened out and reinstalled the original lxpanel - finding much to my relief that Knoppix was still working. So maybe the new lxpanel will solve the problem in some cases but perhaps not in all cases.

I still haven't had a repeat of the panel freezing since i replaced LibreOffice with OpenOffice but kept the old lxpanel 0.5.6-1 - BUT - a second go at replacing LibreOffice in the same way as I describe above (#1) did not go so smoothly - though i did get there in the end,

Best wishes, John