The starter from LXDE can only run GUI tools, not CLI tools because it doesn't offer the ability to run an application in a terminal. It's another thing with the starters from Gnome, KDE or XFCE4.
Greetings Werner
.
I would expect to be able to put an executable command like
mc, ifconfig, vrms, or even less /var/log/syslog into the
little applet that appears either with Alt-F2 or the LXDE
menu choice 'Run'. But neither of these work for me.
Can anyone help me with this?
The starter from LXDE can only run GUI tools, not CLI tools because it doesn't offer the ability to run an application in a terminal. It's another thing with the starters from Gnome, KDE or XFCE4.
Greetings Werner
Hi, Werner
I don't see how Alt-F2 or the 'Run' choice are even useful in LXDE.
With 'Run' from LXDE you can only start GUI-tools (which are in the users path)!
With 'Run' from Gnome you can start GUI-tools and CLI-tools.
Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)
I understand that, but the GUI tools are already menu choices.
Moreover, the LXDE MENUs allow cli entries as well as gui entries.
And, confusingly, the Run/Alt-F2 gui OFFERS a lot of cli choices that don't work,
and even one, alsamixer, that causes a cpu problem;
at least it does on my dual-cpu laptop.
The forum has identified (and corrected) several small flaws in 6.7.1 this year.
I think Run/Alt-F2 may be another area worth a critique.
Last edited by utu; 11-11-2011 at 06:27 PM.
It is not a flaw from Knoppix!
LXDE
don't offer this feature to start CLI tools in a terminal. Please ask in the LXDE forum why not.Code:lxpanelctl run
Hi again, Werner
I greatly respect and appreciate your comments.
I'm not suggesting that irregularities in Run/Alt-F2 are KK's fault,
except, possibly, in the choice of LXDE as the desktop.
I was hoping when I started this thread to discover a better way of
handling several LXDE Run/Alt-F2 idiosyncracies which I've identified.
Just tolerating these imperfections is not what I had in mind.
I get the feeling that change comes very slowly in LXDE, at least in this
Debian adaptation. I would wonder if Knoppix might do as well or better
with XFCE, which seems to me to be a more actively developed product.
Staying with LXDE, I am inclined to edit my LXDE menu to delete the
Run alternative, and to add a new separate submenu of my own
populated with a dozen or so of my favorite cli choices.
Being lazy as I am, I was hoping there might be an easier way.
Hi, utu!
If you must run a program in a terminal like mc you can press Alt-F2 and issueGreetingsCode:lxterminal -e mc
Why this detour over "Alt F2"? I start a terminal immediatly with the panel-button.
The terminal closes automatically when the program ends.![]()

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$169.95
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99