Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Help me understand Alt-F2 or the LXDE Run Command

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Help me understand Alt-F2 or the LXDE Run Command

    .
    I would expect to be able to put an executable command like
    mc, ifconfig, vrms, or even less /var/log/syslog into the
    little applet that appears either with Alt-F2 or the LXDE
    menu choice 'Run'. But neither of these work for me.

    Can anyone help me with this?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    The starter from LXDE can only run GUI tools, not CLI tools because it doesn't offer the ability to run an application in a terminal. It's another thing with the starters from Gnome, KDE or XFCE4.

    Greetings Werner

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hi, Werner

    I don't see how Alt-F2 or the 'Run' choice are even useful in LXDE.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    With 'Run' from LXDE you can only start GUI-tools (which are in the users path)!

    With 'Run' from Gnome you can start GUI-tools and CLI-tools.

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I understand that, but the GUI tools are already menu choices.
    Moreover, the LXDE MENUs allow cli entries as well as gui entries.

    And, confusingly, the Run/Alt-F2 gui OFFERS a lot of cli choices that don't work,
    and even one, alsamixer, that causes a cpu problem;
    at least it does on my dual-cpu laptop.

    The forum has identified (and corrected) several small flaws in 6.7.1 this year.
    I think Run/Alt-F2 may be another area worth a critique.
    Last edited by utu; 11-11-2011 at 06:27 PM.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    It is not a flaw from Knoppix!

    LXDE
    Code:
    lxpanelctl run
    don't offer this feature to start CLI tools in a terminal. Please ask in the LXDE forum why not.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hi again, Werner

    I greatly respect and appreciate your comments.

    I'm not suggesting that irregularities in Run/Alt-F2 are KK's fault,
    except, possibly, in the choice of LXDE as the desktop.

    I was hoping when I started this thread to discover a better way of
    handling several LXDE Run/Alt-F2 idiosyncracies which I've identified.
    Just tolerating these imperfections is not what I had in mind.

    I get the feeling that change comes very slowly in LXDE, at least in this
    Debian adaptation. I would wonder if Knoppix might do as well or better
    with XFCE, which seems to me to be a more actively developed product.

    Staying with LXDE, I am inclined to edit my LXDE menu to delete the
    Run alternative, and to add a new separate submenu of my own
    populated with a dozen or so of my favorite cli choices.
    Being lazy as I am, I was hoping there might be an easier way.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Hi, utu!

    If you must run a program in a terminal like mc you can press Alt-F2 and issue
    Code:
    lxterminal -e mc
    Greetings

  9. #9
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Why this detour over "Alt F2"? I start a terminal immediatly with the panel-button.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    The terminal closes automatically when the program ends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 18 Core 2.3 GHz 45MB SR1XD LGA 2011-3 B Grade picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 18 Core 2.3 GHz 45MB SR1XD LGA 2011-3 B Grade

$15.95



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00



Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$144.98