Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Lost formatting of Forum Posts

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    34

    Lost formatting of Forum Posts

    Hi There Can anyone explain to me how to produce properly formatted posts on this forum, with blank lines and tabs etc to make things clearer to read. Whether I write things directly on the forum or copy and paste in from a text editor, somehow before it is posted [even in the preview] all the lines are run together so it is difficult to read. What am I doing wrongly please? Best wishes, John

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    The short answer: use double "new line" for new paragraph.

    The long answer:
    format my posts
    BB Code

    Greetings Werner

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hi, johnmd

    Wait 'til you meet the ten-minute limit,
    You'll really be disgruntled then.
    After you have posted, you only have so long to look it
    over and correct it before it's too late.

    I usually use leafpad to compose stuff and look it over
    before posting and I don't count on being able to control
    the whitespace with tabs.

    An alternative might be to post the material as code, thusly:

    Code:
    I started a little thread you might use to try things out.
    You can probably find that with 'whitespace' in the search box.
    
    I appreciate some of your helpful replies I've run across.
    Cheers.

    ps: NoScript can also contribute to the problem.
    Last edited by utu; 11-09-2011 at 04:02 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Code:
    Whitespaces are preserved
                this way
                       would have been a better
                                    example.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    34
    Hi Werner and Utu

    Thanks to both of you for your replies. Much appreciated. Not just the ones in this thread I mean - though I have to admit some areas you get into are way over my head.

    I think you scored the bullseye with your ps Utu - probably NoScript is the culprit - I had tried reading through all the help about formatting posts but it didn't seem to work at all for putting in whitespace. BUT - now i have turned off NoScript for this site and all is well - and it had better stay well too - or else!!

    This explains the most puzzling thing for me that once I did achieve a formatted post - I remember it clearly because it was the only one - one of a kind - made it seem like a sporadic fault - always the hardest to trace. I must have happened to once have NoScript turned off.

    Best wishes, John

    ps and here's to lots more readable posts!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings again, John.

    Werner's comments are often way beyond my abilities, but he's very patient.

    wrt NoScript: I use AdBlock instead.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor picture

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor

$250.00



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON ** picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON **

$99.99



Macintosh MacTerminal M0521 Version 1.0. Vintage Apple software 1984 Sealed picture

Macintosh MacTerminal M0521 Version 1.0. Vintage Apple software 1984 Sealed

$129.99



2X Vintage Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers - IIcx/IIci - Parts Repair Untested picture

2X Vintage Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers - IIcx/IIci - Parts Repair Untested

$129.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



Vintage Apple Macintosh SE SCSI System Manuals Lot picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh SE SCSI System Manuals Lot

$26.99



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99