-
Senior Member
registered user
@ Capt_T
Knoppix can be used to create a PAN using bluetooth adapters. I succeeded in connecting a Knoppix V6.7.1 notebook to a Windows 7 Pro system. I used Knoppix 6.7.1 CD and had to add a package bluez-compat containing the program pand. I had to create a configuration file /etc/dbus-1/system.d/bluetooth.conf that is missing in Knoppix V6.7.1 because the bluetooth was not allowed to connect to the D-Bus. I copied the configuration file from Knoppix 6.4.4 and added one line. The current file has the following content
Code:
<!-- This configuration file specifies the required security policies
for Bluetooth core daemon to work. -->
<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
"http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>
<!-- ../system.conf have denied everything, so we just punch some holes -->
<policy user="root">
<allow own="org.bluez"/>
<allow send_destination="org.bluez"/>
<!-- allow root to send to agents -->
<allow send_interface="org.bluez.Agent"/>
<allow send_interface="org.bluez.Proximity"/>
</policy>
<!-- allow users at the console, see consolekit or libpam-foreground -->
<policy at_console="true">
<allow send_destination="org.bluez"/>
</policy>
<!-- allow users of bluetooth group to communicate with hcid -->
<policy group="bluetooth">
<allow send_destination="org.bluez"/>
</policy>
<policy context="default">
<deny send_destination="org.bluez"/>
</policy>
</busconfig>
I downloaded and installed the package bluez-compat and created the the configuration file. Then I configured my Windows 7 Pro system so that it accepted bluetooth connections and served as DHCP server. Afterwards I plugged in my second USB bluetooth adapter at my Knoppix system. Afer having waited a few seconds I issued
Code:
hciconfig
lsmod |grep bnep
hcitool scan
The first command told that the bluetooth was up and running. The second one said that the kernel module bnep was installed. The last command showed bluetooth systems waiting for connections. I issued and was able to connect to the bluetooth adapter of my Windows 7 system. From the hcitool command I knew the MAC address of the Windows 7 system (00:1F:23:34:45:67). I issued
Code:
sudo pand --role PANU --service GN --nodetach -c 00:1F:23:34:45:67
and created a PAN. The last step was to fetch the network configuration from the DHCP server. Therefore I issued
Code:
sudo dhclient bnep0
ifconfig bnep0
and saw that the new network adapter was properly configured. I also learned the IP address of my Knoppix system.
On the Knoppix system I started the ssh server and connected to it from the Windows 7 system using the program WinSCP with the IP address I learned before. I did not experienced any problems in doing so.
The Windows 7 system is connected to the WLAN. I was not able to establish a connection between the PAN and the WLAN. Thus I cannot reach the Internet from my notebook via bluetooth although I entered the nameserver of the WLAN in the file /etc/resolv.conf.
Does anybody know how to connect the two networks on the Windows 7 Pro system?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.98