Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Why is not possible to install other languages for LibreOffice???????????????????

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    34
    Hi szzsqing1

    2 quick suggestions

    re not getting 6.7.1 to run on a computer that will run 6.4.4 perfectly well - you might try using the cheatcodes at boot time

    <knoppix nodrm no3d>

    - this worked for me on an old Compaq desktop- when the graphics display just seized up completely when trying to boot without them - somewhere on the dvd you will find other cheatcodes to fix graphics problems so you might find better ones - actually the 'somewhere' on my DVD is:

    /media/sr0/KNOPPIX/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt

    re getting the Hungarian language pack and dictionaries - I've had to find a workaround even for en-gb language packs and dictionaries as often the debian repositories synaptic uses don't come up with compatible packages for your libreoffice/openoffiice main packages

    - so what I have done is go and look for the package I want on either the Debian or the Ubuntu [heresy] packages sites [google package name] and find there the language package or dictionary you want [somewhere among lenny, wheezy, squeeze or sid] with the same 3 figure version names - so if your main installed libreoffice packages are 3.3.0 [check in synaptic] then this is the package version you need for your lnguage pack - not 3.3.1 or 3.3.2 or whatever. So far I've managed to find what i need somehow, downloaded it and installed it with:

    dpkg -i *.deb

    I know this isn't the orthodox answer but it does sometimes work perfectly well - and uses a lot less download quota than reinstalling a whole new version of your office suite just to get a compatible language pack and dictionary.

    Best wishes, John

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    29
    Thanks for your answer.

    Yes, the cheatcodes helped me. I found for my notebook Amilo La1703 the best combination is: knoppix nodrm nofb no3d|nocomposite.
    But I don't think I'll use V6.7.1, because I found these problems (in the first half hour):
    1. When setting my DSL connection, after pressing the Save button, Network Manager crashed. Well, I could it restart with Root Terminal (root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# NetworkManager) and then the connection worked, but at V6.4.4 there is not such problem.
    2. VLC once opened couldn't be closed, only killing it with System Monitor.
    However I found a positive thing: Gnome Player workes with full screen at V6.7.1 (at V6.4.4 my system restarts if I swith the full screen with mplayer).

    I downloaded LibO_3.3.0_Linux_x86_helppack-deb_hu.tar.gz and LibO_3.3.0_Linux_x86_langpack-deb_hu.tar.gz (V6.4.4 has LibreOffice 3.3.0). But I couldn't install the debs with dpkg: there was unsatisfied dependences (libobasis... ... ...).

    For all who wrote to me:

    Actually I succeded to install somehow LO with Hungarian language, but I am not very satisfied with this installation...
    I removed with Synaptic libreoffice-core and the packeges that needed selected for this. But at the end I got: 'An error occured! E: postgresql-common: installed post-installation script alfolyamat 1 hibakóddal kilépett (... subprocess exited with error code 1)'.
    But the LibreOffice package was removed.
    After this I downloaded the newest LO from it's website (LibO_3.4.4_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz, LibO_3.4.4_Linux_x86_langpack-deb_hu.tar.gz, LibO_3.4.4_Linux_x86_helppack-deb_hu.tar.gz) and I succeded to install it with dpkg.
    This LO version seems to work perfect, the only thing what flusters me is that error message.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    34
    Hi szzsqing1

    Yes I got the same message when replacing Libreoffice with Openoffice, see my post:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...reOffice-3.3.3

    I got rid of the error message, [which would come up again each time I tried to install any other software using synaptic or aptitude] by simply uninstalling postgresql8.4 and postgresql-common [and maybe a couple of other related installed packeges that came up in a synaptic search for postresql packages].

    This seems to leave Openoffice [and all the other programmes that I use] still perfectly functional - but of course it might mess up something else you needed to run [but which i don't use]. So far it hasn't bothered me.

    So that is a possible fix but definitely not an elegant one. I wonder if it is due to there being later versions of postgresql in the synaptic package list, v9.0 and v9.1 and perhaps the new Libreoffice prefers to work with one of them rather than with v8.4 [the installed version with knoppix 6.7.1] - but this is only a guess.

    Best wishes, John

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    40
    This "clash" with postgresql-common remains in KX7.0. Installing any language package for LO triggers an upgrade of all the LO components already installed. In my case, attempting to add the en-GB pack triggered an upgrade for LibreOffice, which in turn required an upgrade of python-uno and this triggered a re-setup of postgresql-common.

    What appears to be happening is that as part of the configuration of postgresql-common by dpkg, a request to start the PostgreSQL-8.4 database server is made and this start process fails.

    The consequent failure of the python-uno upgrade left a ".lock" file in place. Running "sudo apt-get -f install" after removing the lock file fixed most of the python-uno upgrade, except for the situation in postgresql-common.

    Setting up postgresql-common (113) ...
    Starting PostgreSQL 8.4 database server: mainThe PostgreSQL server failed to start. Please check the log output: 2012-04-11 22:12:12 BST FATAL: konnte Serverzertifikatsdatei >>server.crt<< nicht laden: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht ge ... failed!
    failed!
    invoke-rc.d: initscript postgresql, action "start" failed.
    dpkg: error processing postgresql-common (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    configured to not write apport reports
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    postgresql-common
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    The queston is ...why is dpkg requesting the database server to start? Is the server required in order for dpkg toconfigure an upgrade? If not, why the call?

    I fixed the situation by removing postgresql-8.4 via apt-get, then running "sudo apt-get -f install" to clean up. That reported postgresql-common as suitable for autoremove, which I also ran.

    Now both the LO language and help packages for en-GB went straight in, as did myspell-en-gb ... although I had to use "-t testing" to get the latest version of the dictionary.

    No problems yet found from the removal of PostgreSQL. Any information as to whether I have put anything else at risk by this removal would be appreciated.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read* picture

Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read*

$50.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage PC Chips M571 Socket 7 Motherboard V3.2A K6500 CPU 384MB EDO DRAM cables picture

Vintage PC Chips M571 Socket 7 Motherboard V3.2A K6500 CPU 384MB EDO DRAM cables

$74.99



RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller picture

RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller

$35.00



Vintage Western Digital WD Caviar WD200 20GB IDE 3.5in HDD WD200BB-75CLB0 picture

Vintage Western Digital WD Caviar WD200 20GB IDE 3.5in HDD WD200BB-75CLB0

$34.95



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New picture

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New

$82.00