Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: PDF Printer

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    40

    PDF Printer

    Trying to install a PDF printer on an HD install of 6.7.1 using cups-pdf. Package installed and the CUPS printer config finds the virtual printer, but when trying to add the printer, it insists on asking for a model name, which is inapplicable; or a PPD file, which I cannot find.

    How do I complete the Add Printer operation, please?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    When I installed the package cups-pdf (cups-pdf_2.5.0-16_i386.deb) using apt-get the new printer was installed automatically. The printer queue has the name PDF.
    If you need a ppd file you can search the list of files included in the cups-pdf package. Open an LXTerminal and issue
    Code:
    dpkg -L cups-pdf | grep ppd
    If the printer was installed properly then you should find the printer "Generic CUPS-PDF Printer (en)" in the "Generic" section.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    40
    OK, I am so used to not finding the cups-pdf package in a distro package lists and having to do it directly through apt-get ... I removed cups-pdf with apt-get (it had not properly configured) and reinstalled it via synaptic ... this time it configured correctly ... except that I cannot get the CUPS printer manager screen to generate a test page ... selecting the option does nothing ... but a print from Libre Office works ... I find a PDF printer very useful for on-line receipts and orders (Amazon, Ebay, etc.) ... paperless office, Hah!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    40
    Further ... having got the PDF printer working on the HD install, I tried the same on the live USB, using synaptic ... same initial problem, no printer in the printer manager list ... reinstalled with synaptic and I noticed that the "configuring cups-pdf" stage in the reinstall took much longer than on the first install, as it had with the HD Knoppix install ... and this time, again, the PDF printer appears in the lists and works ... still cannot get the "Print Test Page" function to do anything, though.

    It appears that in order to get the package to be correctly configured with Knoppix 6.7.1, you have to install and then reinstall cups-pdf ... something in the configuration is missed on the first attempt that is picked-up on the reinstall. Weird ... interesting, but weird!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512

    Printing a test page

    Quote Originally Posted by Gondarc View Post
    ... except that I cannot get the CUPS printer manager screen to generate a test page ... selecting the option does nothing ...
    I made the experience that I must start iceweasel and enter the address http://localhost:631/ instead of http://127.0.0.1:631/ if I want to print a test page. The file Test_Page.pdf can be found in the directory /var/spool/cups-pdf/ANONYMOUS/.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ..enter the address http://localhost:631/ instead of http://127.0.0.1:631/ if..
    Curious, don't you have the line

    Code:
    127.0.0.1    Microknoppix    Knoppix    localhost.localdomain    localhost
    within your '/etc/hosts'?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Curious, don't you have the line

    Code:
    127.0.0.1    Microknoppix    Knoppix    localhost.localdomain    localhost
    within your '/etc/hosts'?
    I do ... but I have just checked both ways of accessing the CUPS page directly from Iceweasel, and http://localhost:631/ works where http://127.0.0.1:631/ (as used by the printer manager access from "Preferences") does not ... as you say ... curious!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    40
    Further ... equally curious ... documents created via cups-pdf are usually placed in a PDF directory that must be created in the user home directory ... in the case of Knoppix this is /home/knoppix/PDF ... documents printed using the this printer (such as from Libre Office) appear here on my system ... but the test pages generated by the button that works only in http://localhost:631/ do not appear anywhere ... they are in the jobs listed for the printer, but not the destination directory.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I found the file Test_Page.pdf in the directory /var/spool/cups-pdf/ANONYMOUS/.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    40
    Aha ... there it be ... the job queue did list it as generated by anonymous, so that makes some sense ... my original search failed because I did not use capitals in an implicit search string ... hey, ho!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4 2x16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200A SODIMM M471A2K43EB1-CWE picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4 2x16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200A SODIMM M471A2K43EB1-CWE

$124.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module

$29.25



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980 picture

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980

$39.99



CORSAIR Dominator DDR3 CMP8GX3M2A 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM picture

CORSAIR Dominator DDR3 CMP8GX3M2A 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

$21.04