Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: install to flash not complete

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    33

    install to flash not complete

    I have been trying to install Knoppix 6.7 to a 4GB flash pen drive (Kingston). I have gone through
    the procedure many times (>10) and have not been able to get a working system. I have tried the
    install with just a single partition on the drive, and with multiple partitions.

    Here is what I am seeing when I run flash-knoppix:

    1. I get a prompt asking if I want to format the drive. I click yes - okay
    2. I get a message that the partition is being formatted.
    3. I get a message to the effect that a boot track is being written.
    4. I get a message that data is being written. The progress bar goes to 75% and I get the
    installation complete prompt.

    When I reboot the computer, the drive is not recognized in the BIOS. I assume because the BIOS is
    not seeing the device as bootable.

    I have the same results when I try to install Knoppix 6.2 . Does anybody have a suggestion that will
    help me out. I used to have a working Knoppix 3.6 but it broke. Had no problems when I installed
    3.6

    Thanks,
    John

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    ...
    When I reboot the computer, the drive is not recognized in the BIOS. I assume because the BIOS is
    not seeing the device as bootable.
    ...
    Greetings, John Hart.

    One possibility is your computer's priority for booting different media.
    If it's set to HDD first, it may never look farther than that, for example.

    Usually you can change this priority in 'bios settings'.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    When I reboot the computer, the drive is not recognized in the BIOS. I assume because the BIOS is not seeing the device as bootable.
    Many computers with old BIOS cannot boot from USB. It is not a fault of Knoppix.
    With Knoppix 6.7.1 you can use a bootonly CD; this can find and start your flash Installation. With my scripts you can also obtain a Boot-CD.

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    33
    Well, in the past, I was able to see the device in the boot priority list. It no longer shows up in that list. I have reset the BIOS to factory defaults but that did not help. I also tried to use the cheat code, knoppix boot=/dev/sdb1 (that is my flash drive), and that did not work. The load continued from the CD. Is there a problem with the fact that the knoppix-flash install only completed 75% ?

    One more thing. I tried the flash drive on another computer that DID detect the device, but it would not run.

    John
    Last edited by John Hart; 11-27-2011 at 05:06 PM.

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Perhaps your flash drive is damaged.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hey again John & Hi, Werner.

    1. Was your 3.6 a LiveCD, a full-install or a LiveUSB?

    2. If you have allocated a lot of Mb to persistence, Knoppix will take
    a long time to prepare this. Is it possible that you aren't waiting
    long enough for this to complete?

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    33
    You might be right. I just ran TestDisk, in Windows, and there are several warnings. They warnings and messages are as follows:

    Warning: Incorrect number of heads/cylinder 124 <FAT> != 255 <HD>
    Warning: Incorrect number of sectors per track 62 <FAT> != 63 <HD>
    1 * FAT32 LBA 0 32 33 486 250 20 7821312
    Warning: Bad ending cylinder <CHS and LBA don't match>

    The * FAT32 would indicate that the drive is bootable, but apparently there is some problem with the installation.
    Again I wonder about the fact that when flash-knoppix is writing data it only gets to about 75%. Should it not get to 100% ?
    And would a damaged flash pen drive be the cause or might there be a problem with my live CD?
    The CD appears to run okay but maybe there is a problem with some part of the CD. Will running knoppix testcd at the boot prompt
    detect any problems with the live CD ?

    I appreciate the assistance.
    John

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    33
    In response to utu , the 3.6 was a LiveCD. After booting it I was able to install to a flash drive. Please see my post regarding warnings when I used TestDisk (Windows) to look at the drive.

    Perhaps I should buy a new flash pen drive. It is several years old and may have some problems.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    33
    It would appear that the flash drive may not be getting formatted correctly so maybe the drive is bad.
    I assume that the warnings I referred to earlier are indicating that the device is not properly formatted and so
    the bios does not detect it as a "hard drive". Normally the flash disk would show up in the boot list as USB-HDD0.
    Guess I will buy a new flash drive and see what happens.

    I ran knoppix testcd at the boot prompt and the CD checks out as okay.

    John
    Last edited by John Hart; 11-27-2011 at 08:08 PM.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    33
    I bought a new USB flash drive. Went through the procedure and have the same results. TestDisk shows essentially the same warnings. The USB
    flash drive is not showing up in the boot list as USB-HDD0. At this point I have to assume that something is going wrong with the installation procedure.
    Why else would the install only be completing 75% of the data writing? This is really frustrating!

    John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



Set of 2 HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MEMORY  picture

Set of 2 HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MEMORY

$500.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



SK Hynix HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN 32GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory RDIMM picture

SK Hynix HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN 32GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory RDIMM

$329.99



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



SAMSUNG 128GB (4x32GB) M393A4K40BB1-CRC4Q RAM DDR4-2400T RDIMM ECC Memory picture

SAMSUNG 128GB (4x32GB) M393A4K40BB1-CRC4Q RAM DDR4-2400T RDIMM ECC Memory

$666.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98