Have you tried booting into safe mode on your XP PC.
Hi
I am trying to get an XP machine running, but it freezes on the first (mainly black) XP splash screen. This happens if I boot as last config that worked, Safe Mode freezes during the long list of names, (both selected using F. I tried a UBCD 4win disk, it also freezes on the XP splash screen, the UBCD 4win does appear to start to work, in that you get the program splash screen, but freezes on the XP splash screen.
I have used an AVG Rescue disk to do an anti virus scan, and nothing untoward was found,
I tried using a copy of an XP disk to do a repair, but it asks for a floppy disk to do an automated repair. I do not have the floppy for this, and the laptop does not have a floppy disk drive.
Also, I do not know if this is relevant,but when I boot into safe mode, it stops at the agpCRQ.sys file.
I successfully booted the Knoppix disk, but I am unfamiliar with the Linux based operating system, so I am not sure what repair utilities are available.
I am an absolute beginner with this operating system, so please assume I have no previous knowledge.
Any help greatly appreciated
Allan
Have you tried booting into safe mode on your XP PC.
Yes, also tried to boot to last known config that worked, all froze.
I was even patient, left it for an hour in case it took a while to sort itself out, still no joy.
Safe mode freezes part way through the list of drivers, all other boot options freeze on the mainly black XP splash screen.
Are there any disk check options with Knoppix, to check for corrupt files?
With thanks
Allan
Sorry, I don't know what you should do for your XP boot beyond what you've done.
However, there may be a hardware issue at play, so if Knoppix can read your XP hard drive, this might be an excellent time to get some backups, especially of critical files. Someone else will have to help you with the best way to backup, but you may be able to just copy some files, like your address book to a USB drive or email them to yourself at a gmail or yahoo location.
ls and cd are handy commands from the terminal.
Good luck !
Just found this article: The 10 Cleverest Ways to Use Lilnux to fix your Windows PC. From an ubuntu perspective, but probably would work with knoppix:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31804...ur-windows-pc/

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99