I have downloaded Knoppix 6.7.1, verified the MD5 checksum and burnt is slowly at 1x to cd. Knoppix booted from CD with no cheat codes. I then inserted a 1 GB usb memory stick and used Gparted to create a new partition table (used the default msdos type partition table), then created a new partition (fat32) then set the flag to 'boot'. I used the Knoppix menu command to install knoppix to flash drive. I told it to format and it began working. At the end I got this error message
cp: reading 'KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX': input/output error
After acknowledging the message, I went to file manager to take a look at the drive contents. The drive is not detected at all. It does not show on the list of devices, mounted or unmounted. I went to Gparted, but Gparted cant detect it either.
So I booted back to Windows, ran Partition Wizard which detects the drive, reformated it. and now it can be seen by a Knoppix booted system again.
So I repeated the above dance trying a different usb stick, one that has booted Puppy Linux before, but I get the same error message and same undetectable drive. I also tried a gpt partition table type, and a flash install this time with file copying only no formatting. Same error message each time, same undetectable drive.
What is the problem? I don't see what I'm doing wrong if anything, but I have little Linux experience and none with Knoppix so I may be missing something.

TerraMaster F2-210 2-Bay NAS Server Cloud Storage
$199.95
BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$169.99
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00
ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99