Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: How to install Firefox with USB created from Knoppix 6.7 CD

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    With the Knoppix V6.7.0 Live-CD I did the following.

    My first step was to download keepnote_0.7.6-1_all.deb from the web page mentioned earlier in the other thread. I opened a terminal and issued
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i /home/knoppix/Downloads/keepnote_0.7.6-1_all.deb
    I got an error message concerning dependency issues. Many packages are updated since the release date of Knoppix V6.7.0. Therefore it is no wonder that you have to upgrade more packages than you can imagine.
    After some attempts I found the minimum of packages to be updated in order to be able to install the keepnote package.
    In the terminal I issued
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -t testing install python-glade2 python-gtk2 python-numpy python-gnome2 libc6 locales python-gconf libc-bin libc6-dev libc-dev-bin gcc-4.6 libmpfr4 libquadmath0 libgomp1 libgcc1 cpp-4.6 gcc-4.6-base multiarch-support libgfortran3 libstdc++6
    I got an error message about the running screensaver and another one about a serious problem concerning UNIONFS. My solution is to switch over to the console 1 and issue the following commands. (Because the graphical desktop environment will be terminated be sure that you do not have any other important program running.)

    Usually you can change to the console 1 with the command
    Code:
    sudo chvt 1
    in the terminal or by pressing the three keys Ctrl-Alt-F1 simultaneously.

    The commands I issued in the console were
    Code:
    init 2
    chroot /UNIONFS/
    dpkg -a --configure
    apt-get -t testing -f install
    exit
    init 5
    I was back in the desktop environment. Then I issued
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -t testing install iceweasel
    Afterwards I found the menu item "Iceweasel" in the "Internet" menu.

    I hope this helps.
    Last edited by klaus2008; 12-05-2011 at 09:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    I'm not going to over think this, I'm just going the do each of klaus2008 (the champ)'s commands and check for a keepnote menu choice after each command.

    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# sudo dpkg -i /home/knoppix/Downloads/keepnote_0.7.6-1_all.deb
    (Reading database ... 73447 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace keepnote 0.7.6-1 (using .../keepnote_0.7.6-1_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement keepnote ...
    Setting up keepnote (0.7.6-1) ...
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
    Processing triggers for python-central ...
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#

    Looks good to me and the keepnote menu choice is there. Some of the previous commands must have helped. - - how exciting ! Definitely owe klaus2008 and uti at least a beer !!!!!

    OK - next - running KeepNote and creating a notebook. Wonder where I should put it. I had a notion of maybe putting all the data files in under one data file. I see that there is a KNOPPIX-DATA folder ..... wonder if that is a
    good place ....

    Wonder what best practice is? I see a KNOPPIX-DATA / home / knoppix
    ... I think for now and this is probably wrong, I'm just going to create a directory under the top knoppix called Data and under that called keepnote. Perhaps I can find the Data folder for applications and also have SpiderOak backup the entire Data folder other and maybe sync with my other PCs and operating systems. Wonder what others do?

    Anyway - KeepNote is running under Knoppix - many thanks !!!!!!!

    Will be interesting to see when I reinstall, if I can duplicate. I think I'll start with your last set of instructions.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127

    Smile

    I don't know how to mark this thread as solved and that might be too strong a label, but we succeeded. Thanks.

    Sorry - got the treads mixed up - keepnote succeeded - I'll work on iceweasel next.
    Last edited by Denver Dave; 12-06-2011 at 01:24 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    Well, I'm back. I ordered the knoppix 6.7.1 DVD and have installed it to a USB.

    Have KeepNote running

    Have SpiderOak running (sort of)

    Iceweasel 6.0.2 and IceDove 3.1.13 do come up I'm wondering how these compare with the 8.0 versions I'm running with FireFox and Thunderbird on Windows XP, Windows 7 and ubuntu 11.10 ?

    Don't mean to be a spoil sport and not a team player, but is it hard to run the current and real versions of Firefox and Thunderbird with knoppix? I'd like to run the Lightning calendar, which I think requires the latest 8.0 versions (not sure).

    When I bring up the addons windown with icedov - I'm not sure where to see the install addons from a file lilnk.

    When I bring up the addons window from iceweasel I get loading... that does not go away. Seemed like this worked earlier, maybe a mozilla server issue.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127

    Installing Firefox and Thunderbird

    I created a directory named Apps and downloaded the .tar files for Firefox 9.0.1 and Thunderbird 9.0.1 from the Mozilla site. Navigated to the .tar file with File Manager, right clicked and extracted the files to the directories that they created. Navigated to the Firefox and Thunderbird files and can launch with either double click or right click and open. Noticed that Flash is not installed. Did the following commands from the root terminal window. Didn't use sudo, but they seemed to run, but still no flash even after closing and opening FireFox... will try rebooting. apt-get update apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127

    Have Flash

    I'm not sure if the rebooting was necessary or if I had to allow scripts to run (noscripts).

    Now I'm not sure if the install Flash was necessary or if the noscripts was the issue.

    Not saying noscripts is a bad thing, just that I'm going to have to figure it out.

    Also the post before removed the blank likes between items - sorry about the readability, not sure if will be an issue here until I save.

    *** blank lines retained after save
    = = = = = =

    Next item - how to add Firefox and Thunderbird to the application start menu. I'll post the approach here if figure out and tips appreciated.
    Last edited by Denver Dave; 12-28-2011 at 06:51 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99