-
Senior Member
registered user
Pipelining Knoppix's IceWeasel: a good idea, or not?
.
Pipelining is turned off by default in Knoppix's IceWeasel.
I've turned mine on by entering about:config into the browser address line,
promising 'to be careful', and changing network.http.pipelining to true.
Most sites seem to come up faster this way for me.
I'm wondering what the down-side may be in actual practice.
Opera is the only major browser that has this parameter set to true by default,
according to wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_pipelining
Open to any comments, advice, warnings from those having some first-hand
experience in this area, either good or bad.
-
Senior Member
registered user
ps
I had this posted in the wrong place before.
I note that mint not only recommends pipelining, but suggests setting maxrequests to 150.
The latter sounds a extreme to me; mine is still set to 4, the default.
Not sure, but I think the volume of entries in the yahoo spam file has increased.
No more get through to the inbox, but more to ignore.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Apparently the number of requests, for mozilla is an integer 1 through 8.
The value of 1 means no pipelining.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.ht...ng.maxrequests
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
I find a significant improvement in IceWeasel's responsiveness with
pipelining turned on and maxrequests set to 8.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I haven't figured how to quantify this, but after about a month my
impression is that for most sites, maxrequests=8 feels like a nice
improvement in browser responisiveness, relative to maxrequests=4.
However, for a few sites, the browser may 'choke' for several
seconds, as can be confirmed by watching the lxpanel cpu monitor.
I can't recall ever noticing this 'choking' effect at maxrequests=4.
My overall impression is that maxrequest=8 is (now) not the right number,
and intend to tweak it down some until the 'choking' isn't objectionable.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$59.99

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$218.79

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99