-
Problem with install new kernel.
Hi folk.
I have problem when I try install new kernel.
I install Knoppix 2003-04-28 on my comp.
I try compile new kernel with standard Debian way.
I loggin as root, cd /usr/src/linux and do
make-kpkg --revision=et.0.1 kernel_image
Kernel compile correctly but I have errors with
install modules:
depmod: Can't open /usr/src/linux/debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/extra/modules.dep for writing
make[2]: *** [_modinst_post] Error 255
I check /lib/modules. There there is directory extra with modules.dep.
Why on comp with istalled knoppix system use extra directory with
modules dependences but not linux standard way where modules
dependences write in /lib/modules/kernel_version/ ?
And how resolve this that create debian kernel image?
Thanx.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You might want to read this
Or at a minumum try adding the modules target to the end of your make-kpkg line:
make-kpkg --revision=et.0.1 kernel_image modules
-
> Or at a minumum try adding the modules target to the end of your
> make-kpkg line:
>
> make-kpkg --revision=et.0.1 kernel_image modules
Unfortunately, this do not resolve problem, the same errors
:
depmod: Can't open /usr/src/linux/debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/extra/modules.dep for writing
make[2]: *** [_modinst_post] Error 255
This cannot resolve problem because debian kernel-packages scripts know
nothing about /lib/modules/extra directory.
And kernel-image package do not builds.
Ok. I try compile new kernel as standard linux way.
When I do make modules_install this rewrites exist /lib/modules/extra
and I have only new work kernel - if I try reboot in old kernel I have
problem with my modules which cannot install !
Why use this /lib/modules/extra ? How build new debian way kernel-image
package ?
-
This is very, very interesting !!!
Knoppix is based on debian. OK.
dpkg -l | grep kernel-image
ii kernel-image-2.4.20-xfs 10.00.Custom Linux kernel binary image for version 2.4.20-xfs.
dpkg -L kernel-image-2.4.20-xfs | grep "modules.dep"
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/modules.dep
dpkg -L kernel-image-2.4.20-xfs | grep "modules/extra"
nothing !!!
cd /
dpkg -S vmlinuz
kernel-image-2.4.20-xfs: /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs
ls -l /vmlinuz
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 May 6 03:30 /vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs
dpkg -S /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs
kernel-image-2.4.20-xfs: /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs
I searched file in /etc/modutils - 1alsa
cat /etc/modutils/1alsa
path[alsa]=/lib/modules/extra
depfile=/lib/modules/extra/modules.dep
generic_stringfile=/lib/modules/extra/modules.generic_string
pcimapfile=/lib/modules/extra/modules.pcimap
isapnpmapfile=/lib/modules/extra/modules.isapnpmap
usbmapfile=/lib/modules/extra/modules.usbmap
parportmapfile=/lib/modules/extra/modules.parportmap
ieee1394mapfile=/lib/modules/extra/modules.ieee1394map
pnpbiosmapfile=/lib/modules/extra/modules.pnpbiosmap
I remove this file,
update-modules
updatedb
cd /usr/src/linux
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=et.0.1 kernel_image
cd ..
ls -l kernel-image
kernel-image-2.4.21_et.0.1_i386.deb
and I have new kernel-image package !!!
This is BUG?
-
Hi,
Sorry for the late posting.
I had the same problem, So maybe a bug report is needed.
(I found your posts on Google too, and at first thought you were a different person cause I didn't look at the names
)
But thanks to your posts I was able to compile a new kernel with make-kpkg
-
yes, I also have the same problem here when compiling a custom kernel for my HD-install of knoppix 3.2-26/07/03 . It has been very frustrating to say the least. Is there some other way around it with removing those two files??
-
Two files? I can see only one mentioned in the earlier posts, /etc/modutils/1alsa. Or, perhaps you mean the /lib/modules/extra directory? Anyways, it doesn't change my actual answer.
Nevertheless, I do not know any other way around it, but there should be no problems after removing the file. Just make sure you move or rename it (or any other config/system file you "delete", for that matter) instead of deleting, so you can restore it if you run into problems.
If alsa doesn't work on your new kernel because deleting /etc/modutils/1alsa, then just upgrade (or remove and re-install) all alsa packages with apt-get. That way all the config files should be re-created with the correct paths. At least, my system is working OK now. 
By the way, I didn't make a bug report because my knoppix wasn't a recent one, and I wasn't sure if this applies to the newest version. So maybe somebody who has the problem with the last version should make the bug report (you?).
-
Workaround
{edited}
Hi,
I too had the above problem and posted here before. But since then have successfully built a kernel. The solution I found was to build the image, docs, modules- everything, using the 'buildpackage' target.
Code:
[linux]# make menuconfig
[linux]# fakeroot make-kpkg clean
[linux]# fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=.031129 buildpackage modules_image
Similar Threads
-
By cfish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
-
By Shadda in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-11-2005, 05:42 PM
-
By nishtya in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-18-2004, 10:08 PM
-
By Nils_ in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:50 AM
-
By Nigel_Tufnel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Lot of 12 Non-Working Samsung Galaxy Tablets with BAD LCD for Parts
$381.38

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 10.5" Tablet SM-X200 (Gray 32GB) Wifi CRACKED
$41.93

Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE 5G SM-T738U 12.4" Tablet Gray 64GB T-Mobile CRACKED
$82.68