-
I partitioned the USB HDD using Gparted. I made the first partition (primary) as 8Gb and flagged it as bootable. I then used flash-knoppix to install to the USB HDD. When I rebooted the computer, the USB HDD was not in BIOS list of bootable devices. Interestingly, when I test the hard drive with a program called TestDisk, the drive shows as being bootable. I also plugged the hard drive into a different computer and it does not show up in the boot list for the BIOS of the other computer.
I used the flash-knoppix installerto install the Knoppix to the USB HDD and it installed syslinux. I don't know how to install grub4dos . Can that be done after installing with flash-knoppix and do you think that would cure the problem?
I understand that the Knoppix CD does not require the presence of an internal HDD although I notice a lot of HDD activity when Knoppix is loading. Not sure why!! Yes, I would want to have a persistent image, so I would not be wanting to format with reiserfs. Here is another interesting thing that I saw: I formatted the primary partition with reiserfs and rebooted the computer. The USB HDD showed up in the BIOS boot list so the problem mostly likely is related to the boot record.
Any suggestions will be helpful. Is there a well documented procedure that I could read that describes installing to a USB HDD? Most of what I find is not that easy to understand for a novice.
Thanks,
John
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99