Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How do we upgrade to Openshot 1.4 with knoppix ?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127

    How do we upgrade to Openshot 1.4 with knoppix ?

    It is really neat that Openshot 1.3.1 comes pre-installed with the knoppix 6.7.1 DVD that I used to create a boot USB. However, I'm not sure how to upgrade to Openshot 1.4.0 and the directions page don't make much sense to me:
    http://www.openshot.org/download/

    Suggestions? Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Hi, Denver Dave!

    You can upgrade OpenShot Video Editor to version 1.4.0 if you issue
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -t testing install openshot openshot-doc
    in a terminal.

    If you cannot start OpenShot Video Editor you should read the web page Seg fault on certain language & locale combinations (non UTF-8 ) where you can find a new file Language_Init.py that should replace /usr/share/pyshared/openshot/language/Language_Init.py

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127

    Upgraded to OpenShot 1.4.0

    Thank you for the OpenShot and other help that you have given me in the knoppix forums.

    The two sudo commands that you suggested did upgrade my openshot to 1.4.0.

    I tried the first command before, but how are we supposed to know the 2nd command for those of us without supernatural powers? I reviewed the openshot website again and I don't see where I missed this information.

    It seems like with ubuntu and knoppix, the applications are already included or someone eventually gives a few sudo commands that work or I don't get the application installed or upgraded. I haven't tried the .tar route yet - maybe I'll try for another application.

    Openshot is somewhat unique in that I'm not trying to duplicate a program that runs under Windows - I don't believe that Openshot is available for windows. While openshot may be limited in some ways, I've found it much much easier to use than other video editors - windows or linux.

    Thank you - I'm off editing with openshot 1.4.0

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    I think I'm running knoppix 7.0.2 and I'm running openshot 1.4.2 The openshot website says that version 1.4.3 was available in October, but when I run sudo apt-get install openshot openshot-doc I get latest version is already installed.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    Actually, I'm on knoppix version 7.0.3. Isn't there a command to display the knoppix version rather than trying to catch it as the computer boots up? The desktop screen says 7.0 in the bottom right, but it doesn't give the minor knoppix version.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Denver Dave View Post
    Isn't there a command to display the knoppix version rather than trying to catch it as the computer boots up?
    Greetings, Denver Dave.

    'Knoppix 7.0.4' shows for a few seconds at boot at lower left in text.
    Type any single character to stop the time-out to see it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Hi, Denver Dave!

    If you issue the commands
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    apt-cache policy openshot
    apt-cache policy openshot-doc
    you will see that the two packages openshot version 1.4.3 and openshot-doc version 1.4.3 are already available in the unstable distribution. It is possible to install them if you have a fresh install of Knoppix 7.0.3 CD. It depends on the requirements of the already configured packages whether openshot version 1.4.3 can also be installed on your system.
    I would try the following commands
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install openshot/unstable openshot-doc/unstable
    You will get an error message if there are irresolvable dependencies.

    I hope that helps.

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    'Knoppix 7.0.4' shows for a few seconds at boot at lower left in text.
    Type any single character to stop the time-out to see it.
    It's the message from
    '/mnt-system/boot/syslinux/boot.msg'

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    Thank you klaus2008 and werner for not only giving the answer, but how you knew what the answer was. I'm now on openshot 1.4.3 Note to self: to print out the knoppix version file to the screen: cat /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/boot.msg Thanks !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



Seagate IronWolf 4TB 3.5in Internal Desktop HDD Hard Drive Silver picture

Seagate IronWolf 4TB 3.5in Internal Desktop HDD Hard Drive Silver

$95.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED picture

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED

$34.95



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$84.00



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59